Thread: Busiprone (buspar), escitaopram or other ssri?

Busiprone (buspar), escitaopram or other ssri?

Especially As I'm feeling quite nuts now, I'm going to start some sort of mental health med. Curious as to whether anyone has messed w any and found any augmentation to physical function as I'm all about doing multiple things w one drug. Busipirone is in the Louisville study and I just noted there's a trial now on escitalopram. I was leaning cymbalta since that can help central pain but I think ldn has covered the pain. Disappointed ldn hasn't given me an attitude adjustment, however.
    Last edited by Sheri; 04-03-2017 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typos

So, you're trying to see if an SSRI is going to improve pain as well as physical function on top of helping mental health? Did I get that right? I tried several for pain/for mental health reasons and eventually reached the point where none were working out for me or had unacceptable side-effects but who knows, it helps some people for sure so don't nix the idea. Effexor XR just made me feel numb and getting off of it was...an experience. Some SSRIs actually increased my spasticity and spasms initially, and bupropion just made me feel wired - but then again bupropion is a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor and the initial effect of NE can cause anxiety, until things settle at least in most people. I hear it's good to quit smoking though. Buspirone is apparently pretty good for anxiety, according to a few profs that work/research in mental health and teach its pharmacology I've had - though like SSRIs, it doesn't work right away like benzodiazepines would and it depends on the type of anxiety too.

Edit: I do take very low dose Clonazepam along with Baclofen in the Winter to deal with increased spasticity/spasms and it's more effective than just upping the Baclofen by far. Supposedly Diazepam is more commonly prescribed for muscle issues though and Lorazepam totally didn't work for me, made me dizzy. I guess you'll just have to try out different things and see how they affect you. Benzos are probably not a great idea for anxiety long-term and docs tend to frown cause it's addictive but to each their own, I've been fine on a very small dose only for a few months out of the year (winter) for several years now.

You mentioned LDN, as in low-dose naltrexone? I'm not sure what you mean, but there's more than just popping pills to treating depression and other issues, things like speaking with a counsellor or other mental health professional can be hugely helpful! Have you tried discussing this with your doc? Us peeps on several medications/several health issues may react differently, might be worth talking it out. Goodluck!
    Last edited by twistties; 04-03-2017 at 09:38 PM.

The advice above is good. Medications are not always the answer, although they certainly have their place in treating a variety of disorders. What does your health care provider think? What other medications are you on? Are these new issues or continuing ones?
    All of these questions and more need to be answered before you go on any medication.

Let us know how you are doing.

ckf

I actually started seeing a therapist. My therapist, neuro, physiatrist all think I'm prob not clinically depressed but then think I'd be good to augment the serotonin and maybe just get a little help w the self-delusion. I've got wicked central neuropathic pain too. I thought ldn had modified my leg pain, but nope. I'll stay on ldn in case it has disease modifying ability for progressive ms. Have cymbalta coming in mail which hopefully will help w pain plus let's see what some serotonin might do. I was trying to pull in comments from anyone who maybe saw a little strength or function from a mental health drug. Just seeing in studies there's interest in busipirone and escitalopram and at least those drugs have helped movement in mice.