Thread: Dad thinks my wheelchair can be damaged by a water pistol fight

Question Dad thinks my wheelchair can be damaged by a water pistol fight

So despite being incredibly hands-on dad believes my wheelchair can be broken by water pistol fight seriously

How do I can did to stop treating me like spun glass? His hyper fixation on walking meant that he never learn what a wheelchair could and couldn't do

Power or manual chair?

Quote Originally Posted by cyfskid View Post
    So despite being incredibly hands-on dad believes my wheelchair can be broken by water pistol fight seriously
    How do I can did to stop treating me like spun glass? His hyper fixation on walking meant that he never learn what a wheelchair could and couldn't do
    Hi Cyfskid. It must be concerning for your Father when you're out and the rain comes down
    You run a manual chair, right? So do I.
    I enjoy a water pistol battle with my Grandson. Worry about getting myself or my wheelchair wet is the furthest thing from my mind; in fact I allow him to get the better of me. Having fun and giving joy is so much better for your mental condition than being concerned about getting the equipment wet.
    These chairs are designed to handle the elements and as long as we maintain them they last long enough.
    It is pissing down off and on, here in Auckland and I have to go out. When I return there is a good chance that I will be somewhat wet so, with your thread in mind there I expect that I will go outside and sit in the rain for a bit with my dog Lewis and enjoy the pleasant sensation of sitting in the rain and being alive before coming inside and drying off.

Enjoy this, it is better than John Mayalls' version AND it is Kiwi. I grew up on this stuff and maybe your Dad did too. He might enjoy it also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoxAc7gXtT0

I posted this story a while back, but worth repeating here. Moral of the story, don't challenge a walrus to a "water pistol" duel if you have a power chair. That said, tongue in cheek, I've been caught in a rain of two in London that got me, NL, and my manual chair soaking wet and it was never worse for the wear. Here is a thread about problems others have had when their power chairs get wet: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ghlight=walrus

Many, many, many years ago, I had a electric "wheelchair" called a "Sparky." It was supposed to give me more freedom on rough terrain. Well is was never very good on rough terrain, whatever that was supposed to have meant. However, NL and I were living in Los Angeles, and Marineland of the Pacific in Ranchos Palos Verdes was still open. We were strolling through the park and stopped at the Walrus enclosure. These creatures were very close and could come up to the level we were on and you could reach out and rub their scruffy, brillo pad noses. They were soooo cute, but they had a secret weapon. These creatures could squirt water from their mouths that was about as powerful as water coming from a fire hose. I was sitting close to the fence rubbing one of those scruffy little beards, when SPLASH, POW, WHAM, SPLASH...one of those dear creatures hosed me and my "Sparky" with sea water. I was soaked and so was the chair. NL and I didn't think much about it at the time. I dried off without any problem and when we got home, we parked the chair with its charger in our garage. It was probably a month later, when we were going to use the "Sparky" again. But, all of the electronics and controllers were corroded with that salt water esposure and NOTHING worked.

Ended up having to take it to the shop for repairs that were more expensive than the silly chair was actually worth. But we did get a few more years and "expeditions" out of it.

Bottom line, wheelchair electronics and water do not mix!

Well you could show him the photo below...that's salt water, in an estuary - we were going for crabs that day. The chair needed a good hose off with fresh water afterwards (which is probably a bit more powerful than a water pistol!), and I should have paid more attention to the horizontal bearings above the front casters as they didn't last too much longer after that. But it was all worth it!

That being said, I've seen many parents being overprotective of their children in chairs, and can probably include myself in that category at times too. It's not always easy getting it right as a parent! And chairs aren't cheap, which might be the issue your Dad has with the chair getting wet/damaged, or it might be just ensuring that you don't have to sit there soaking wet afterwards. If it were my son, I'd recommend that he prove to me his independence (ie his ability to look after the chair (and himself) afterwards) then I wouldn't have a problem the next time....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

its a power chair but when i get my manual i will raise the issue again