Thread: Manual wheelchair for quadriplegics

Manual wheelchair for quadriplegics

Hi dear members
    I am c5c6 quadriplegic. These days I am working on custom made fit to body manual wheelchair for quadriplegics. As we all know that a manual wheelchair should provide better pressure relief, comfortable sitting,good mobility and should be according to body measurements.
    My question is being quadriplegic what all important considerations should one take in mind before making or buying a manual wheelchair ?

How long since your injury? Do you use a manual now? How tall are you? What brands are available in your area?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    How long since your injury? Do you use a manual now? How tall are you? What brands are available in your area?
    15 years post injury. Five feet nine inches is my height. Currently using power chair but wanna start using manual indoor. No good brand is available so have to tell manufacturer my requirements.

Make sure to get a good sitting evaluation and the measurements are dead on. I use a quickie Q7. It's lightweight and very adjustable. Make sure to demo the chair you're interested in for a little while. The first manual chair I had was kind of heavy so when I switched to a lighter weight, it was awesome. I know this sounds weird but inflatable tires can be much easier to push because they can be much harder.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    Make sure to get a good sitting evaluation and the measurements are dead on. I use a quickie Q7. It's lightweight and very adjustable. Make sure to demo the chair you're interested in for a little while. The first manual chair I had was kind of heavy so when I switched to a lighter weight, it was awesome. I know this sounds weird but inflatable tires can be much easier to push because they can be much harder.
    Thanks for the suggestion

Unless you need a collapsable chair, I recommend a rigid chair, they are lighter and simpler chairs. That said, this being your first manual you will need something that allows for adjustability, as it can be hard to nail those specs spot on the first time. As one that has used TiLite chairs for a number of years now, your best options in their lineup are: (Titanium) TRA or ZRA - (Aluminum) Aero T or Aero Z. I suggest you look at those, whichever seems to peak your interest the most, print out the order form for it and study it for a couple weeks, also using the CAD Repository link here on CareCure ( http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...CAD-Repository ) to look at others chairs. Studying the detail on those forms will really help you learn what YOU need to know, because DME can let you down.

https://permobilus.com/products/manu...-tilite/rigid/
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982