Thread: Scissor lock spring "repair"

Scissor lock spring "repair"

The springs failing on scissor locks seems to be a common problem, and the springs in my son's brakes went some time ago. Whilst the scissor locks still continue to function as brakes, they have a bad habit of engaging at the wrong moments....

The solution? Put an elastic band around the brake, holding the brake in the open/off position, and put the other end of the band around a suitable point to the rear of the brake. Seems to work perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thank you! I have the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    The springs in my son's brakes went some time ago. ...................
    The solution? Put an elastic band around the brake, holding the brake in the open/off position. Seems to work perfectly.
    The return spring? That takes a bit of work and has a limited life; the same as elastic bands.
    However, the beauty of your cure is that elastic bands are available at every street corner and the remedy is simple and fulfills the purpose.
    A beauty '#8 fencing wire' solution Gordon; I like it.

Last edited by slow_runner; 04-02-2017 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thank you! I have the same problem.
    It's a common problem it seems! Hopefully you can get some elastic bands cheaply before the disability industry increases the price of them dramatically!! 😀
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post

The return spring? That takes a bit of work and has a limited life; the same as elastic bands.
    However, the beauty of your cure is that elastic bands are available at every street corner and the remedy is simple and fulfills the purpose.
    A beauty '#8 fencing wire' solution Gordon; I like it.
    The simple solutions are always best, aren't they? It will be interesting to see how long the bands last...I suspect that they may last as long as the springs did!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    The simple solutions are always best, aren't they? It will be interesting to see how long the bands last...I suspect that they may last as long as the springs did!
    If it is a quality rubber band, I am confident that you are correct Gordy.
    It appeals to me because it is a quick, cheap repair that requires a minimum of stuffing around.
    Your suggestion is in my spares box.