Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mark Smith kicked off airplane

Can't say that I've ever seen one of those in Australia either! (I'm also not sure that many would choose to use it in preference to an aisle chair, given the time it would take to use it. And our experience is that the staff hardly know how to use an aisle chair properly, so what are the chances of a more complicated system being used properly?)
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Very interesting to hear from some one like "Gordy1" who has experience with this system. Doesn't seem it really works that well in his experience.

And yet, it really looks like a good idea for those of us who haven't experienced this system.

Guess the grass always looks greener on the other side.

I'm gonna give a big hard pass on that one.
    I'd rather be humiliated by people thinking I look like Hanibal Lecther, rather than looking like Hanibal Lechter's infant in a winding swing.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

The Eagle lift would replace the manual (human) "lifters" that some require to get from their own wheelchair to the aisle chair, and then from the aisle chair to their seat. I know a number of people who were dropped and injured during this process, including my mother. Would much prefer a safer device like this. Neither is great for your dignity, but at least you are safer.

(KLD)

I sent an email to American Airlines about removing Mark Smith from this flight. I haven't received any response from them.

That said, maybe Mark Smith was removed from this flight for the same reason that this happened this week: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ompting-outcry

Thing is in the agreement of charter that all airlines publish, a passenger/any passenger has no rights that require the airlines to transport them, especially on an overbooked flight and for those passengers paying the lowest fare...or maybe whatever blows up the pants of the pilot. We, any passenger is at the whim of the airlines.

If this flight was overbooked, maybe Mark Smith was one of the passengers that got caught up in this morass. It happens, flyers beware...any flyers not just ones with a disability.

I doubt it, in overbooked situations PWD are removed last and I imagine if he flys as much as he says he does he has frequent flyer status that would also preclude him from being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I sent an email to American Airlines about removing Mark Smith from this flight. I haven't received any response from them.

That said, maybe Mark Smith was removed from this flight for the same reason that this happened this week: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ompting-outcry

Thing is in the agreement of charter that all airlines publish, a passenger/any passenger has no rights that require the airlines to transport them, especially on an overbooked flight and for those passengers paying the lowest fare...or maybe whatever blows up the pants of the pilot. We, any passenger is at the whim of the airlines.

If this flight was overbooked, maybe Mark Smith was one of the passengers that got caught up in this morass. It happens, flyers beware...any flyers not just ones with a disability.

I sent an email as well and got no response... Why would you remove the most difficult passenger to remove? They ask for volunteers don't they? I still think there is something going on there that we probably will not learn about....

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

If I were ever book another flight, I would certainly not choose American or United.

I wouldn't have moved, they would have had to drag me off the plane.

Back in the dark ages when I first started being a business traveler, they would just keep increasing the offer to buy your seat. Once they got to $400 plus hotel and first flight tomorrow they usually had ample volunteers. Today they just boot you off.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.