Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Those with augment & mitro?

My Urologist is not proactive at all about my stoma working. He suggested a foley. Foleys have never work for me - always leaked around pre-augment/mitro days, but now I have mucous & it clogs immediately. Giving up my mitro is not an option. He won't even do a cyctoscopy.
    Do you know of any testing methods to visualize the valve?
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

The stoma can be scoped or a retrograde dye study done. Is the urologist you are seeing the one who did your Mitrofanoff? If not, I would see someone who is expert in this procedure. You may need a conduit revision surgery. It is not uncommon to need this, esp. after such a long time.

(KLD)

Thanks for the response. The Urologist I see now is 20 years & 3000 miles from the one who did my surgery. Unfortunately, I am stuck with Kaiser and can't get around that. My current uro seems to know about mitros, though I can't say ow much experience he has with them. He mentioned the possibility of needing a revision but was pretty much against doing that, saying it was a major surgery.
    He has blasted bladder stones 3x in the last 3 years. The 2nd time, I could feel a stone close to the valve. I was unable to get in, but after leaving a cath in place for 2 days all was good. This time, it's been 6 weeks. I can usually get in as long as I have less than 300ccs. After that, it shuts tight. This problem started 3 weeks before this last stone blast, when I started antibiotics (I am usually just colonized & don't treat). I tape a cath in place at night when I have most of my output.

As for the fibroid, I started on Lupron shots to try to shrink it by inducing menopause.

You can request an "out of network" consult with a urologist who has done more Mitrofanoffs through Kaiser if you can get him to admit he has limited or no experience with doing the surgery or revision. It does take a bit of effort on your part to do this.

(KLD)

Unfortunately, I do think he has experience, he just doesn't seem to be willing to even discuss a revision, or even exploratory testing. He doesn't get what this means to my quality of life. I will try to push more...I know how Kaiser works. I have just honestly never had a 100% successful procedure with any of their doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Unfortunately, I do think he has experience, he just doesn't seem to be willing to even discuss a revision, or even exploratory testing. He doesn't get what this means to my quality of life. I will try to push more...I know how Kaiser works. I have just honestly never had a 100% successful procedure with any of their doctors.
    Sounds like a good plan.

Botox after Augmentation & Mitrofanoff

I had my augmentation and mitrofanoff 9 years ago (2008). I had always suffered from UTI's and hoped that this would mitigate them. No luck. My doctors told me I'd need to get used to some level of e-coli in my bladder from the bowel tissue - which of course makes the mucous - and over time I probably did. I also used a med called Vesicare once a day and that kept me continent. In January I had botox treatments into my bladder so I could go off that medication (anti-cholinergics can be related to Dementia which my Mom has). The botox allows me to go a long, long time between caths if I want but I've had an infection since. I've tried all the antibiotics out there, my next will be intravenous style. I haven't had to flush in years and my neurologist says that's common and fine. He looks into the bladder and at the stoma once a year. I have previously been on a daily antibiotic (macrobid or nitrofurantoin) which worked quite well but I do know some people personally who now have lung issues from that (it is a listed side effect) so I've opted to not use that. I wonder if anyone else out there has had botox with side effects as since that time I've had uncontrollable spasms that are becoming dangerous. I know that a UTI can cause more spasms but this is ridiculous.

If the Botox worked, then it shouldn't cause spasms- just the opposite, it should relax the bladder and no spasms. Seems like it didn't work. We are using a half sterile water , half acetic acid(vinegar) solution irrigtiong 2-3 times a day.
    Some say it helps. D- Mannose is good for E Coli and that is all.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If the Botox worked, then it shouldn't cause spasms- just the opposite, it should relax the bladder and no spasms. Seems like it didn't work. We are using a half sterile water , half acetic acid(vinegar) solution irrigtiong 2-3 times a day.
    Some say it helps. D- Mannose is good for E Coli and that is all.
    CWO
    I wasn't aware one can irrigate with sterile water/vinegar solution. Given that the vinegar is not sterile, will this be a problem, or is the nature of vinegar itself sufficiently antibacterial?

I currently irrigate with saline, followed by hydrocleanse. However, the Hydrocleanse is quite expensive and if saline/vinegar solution would accomplish similar goals that would be helpful to me. Would this solution be antibacterial?

Thank you.

Vinegar is acetic acid and water. You can get diluted acetic acid as a preparation to use as a flush/cleanse. You should never use full strength acetic acid too strong and harsh.

Agree that D-Mannose is effective as a preventative supplement to use if E Coli (only) present in urine C&S.

pbr