Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big tract subdivision builders

Big tract subdivision builders

Anyone have a new house built by one of the more generic builders like Pulte and such and have the plan modified with flat threshold doors and similar wheelchair type stuff? Was that a headache or easy process? I'm kicking around the idea of going for a new tract subdivision build, because there are lots more to choose from, but between the unhappy online reviews, questionable warranty specs, and sales agents who just give a canned reply of 'when are you looking to buy' when emailing about a floor plan with room measurements...LOL. What experiences did you guys have with the big builders?

No experience with one, but my thoughts are it might be a problem. The reason being is everything is so cookie cutter with the design/construction process. Once you deviate from the boiler plate drawings a lot of the trades can be impacted, especially the mechanical, electrical and plumbing, which can get expensive.

Yeah, I kind of figured. That is if you can get them to do 'custom' successfully considering how 'routine' turns out sometimes reading about their work.

I looked back into a builder that I liked and seemed rather amenable to doing anything, they even fired off one of their supplier's website for info on ADA type home parts to me. Only thing was back then they didn't have any lots that I liked, but it seems this year they are starting a fresh subdivision that I'm liking. Maybe this year's round of tire kicking might result in a purchase, lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Def not on the same level, but I had my condo custom built for me .. and I found because of the chair, extra attention was paid as well as quality - moreso than my neighbours because they wanted to get it right for me since I had to pay extra. No builder is perfect ... but that was my experience with just condo living.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

We had our condo built by gross builders. My realtor was great. We had weekly walkthroughs. Did all gimp stuff, was a bit tedious but i really stayed on them. Several things had to be redone but as long a you micromanage you'll be fine
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    My mom is a CPA for a 'big builder', ~$90,000,000 worth of homes a year, and she said they do this all the time, even on their track builds. Something about 'required by law', blah, blah, blah. She basically said exactly what fuente posted,too. Gotta be up their ass 24x7, which is hard on a big construction lot from a wheelchair, but will get you the best results. They've even built temporary ramps and plywood paths for gimp customers to visit their site.

That map looks nice! I'd go for one of the acre lots. Keeps the neighbors farther away. I'd put a smaller
    house on a bigger lot, but that's just me. I hate the McMansion neighborhoods around here with 3,500+sq/ft houses within arms reach of each other. I need my damn space!
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Yeah, keeping on their asses might be tough 300 miles south of here, lol. I do like the space idea, but I also like the tucked in and hidden aspect also, so #7 is looking good for me. South of there is a patch of woods, so that is good, no cornfield. And no flood plains nearby on the FEMA maps either for this subdivision. City water and sewer for modern plumbing as well. I'm going to be the cheapest hovel in the 'hood, so resale might be good also when buying 1800 sq foot slab and you know people are going to be putting up McMansions around you, lol. I think this plan might be a good start to work off of, deep enough garage to get around cars, and big enough bedroom for a king size bed you can get around, with bathrooms that look like they could work transferring and such. Got 'till October when the subdivision might be ready, to finalize the tire kicking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I was on contract for buying a home from a big home builder out in Maryland. It was like pulling teeth every step of the way. Any change I required for accessibility cost a great deal. I didn't look into the legality of them charging me for the changes, but they did. They fought back against even little things like making the front door be on ground level. The final kicker was since they had drastically jacked up the price because of the changes I made, the appraisal came in under the sale price and they wanted us to pay the difference in cash. That was the final straw and we broke the contract. We ended up finding a custom home builder, took them the plans we had from the big home builder, and he got it done with all the options and bump outs we wanted for a better price than the big home builder would have.

The house we build looks almost exactly like the one you posted. It is really nice for accessibility. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

I did it with a large builder in Florida from Pennsylvania in 1995. Construction was ramping up. Builders were competitive and willing to customize their cookie cutter homes. I worked with them to modify one of their existing models which was pretty accessible to begin with. The changes weren't too substantial but once I signed off on the blue prints it was set in motion. I flew down twice to check on it. It was the only house in the development without a front step and and two front door peep holes. Barrier free designs aren't as uncommon as they once were. Done correctly it won't hurt the resale. Make sure you think about every detail including light switches and outlets. Run Cat-6 everywhere and think about where you might want speaker wires also. Its cheap and easy on new construction and adds to the value.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

I did with Pulte twice in the past seven years and had no problems with it in Florida.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred