Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem free leg bag suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay View Post
    I wasn't aware thanks for the heads up.
    The Bard Spirit Model is their Rochester style offering. I tried it and have switched from Rochester to the Spirit. Because of the hydrocolloidal properties, it stays on even better and is presumably better for the skin. Otherwise, it is pretty similar to the Rochester Wideband. They have free samples, so, you might want to give it a try. Because the Spirit line is relatively new, Shield has to special order it whenever I do my reorders. Not really a problem, though.

(Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread).
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    lol
    It may be funny, but I blow in mine every night after switching to the night bag. Otherwise there is a small amount of urine in the extension tubing that will spill out. Likewise, if I don't have a valve, urine would spill out. Blowing is not such a terrible thing.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    I use Hollister as well and like their leg bag product but they do need to be replaced (often) . . . I have had lots of leaks.
    I had a few batches that developed a leak, in the same spot a couple times. There's a thread about this. Now I just buy a half dozen at a time instead of a box of 10. I usually get at least a month out of a bag, which get washed out daily with a 10% bleach solution. The flip valve really works well for me with my impaired hand function, that's the main reason I use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulea View Post
    It may be funny, but I blow in mine every night after switching to the night bag. Otherwise there is a small amount of urine in the extension tubing that will spill out. Likewise, if I don't have a valve, urine would spill out. Blowing is not such a terrible thing.
    It's the way you said it - that made me laugh
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by Mac85 View Post
    lol
    After cleaning it, if I blow some air into the bag it helps clear out the valve. Obviously I don't touch anything when doing this.

edit: didn't see previous post that addressed this.

I do notice that sometimes that valves are fused closed when new. So, the first thing I do with a new bag is take out the valve and squeeze it to ensure that the end isn't fused. Other than the blowing at night and the rinsing/soaking every morning while I have my BP, my bags last me around 6 months each without any trouble.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Update: I tried the hollister, bard, and urocare bags. The hollister and bard bags still give me problems at the flutter valve. The urocare bag seems to have a much better valve and works everytime. However, even though the valve works I am still having problems with the vacuum effect in the tubing. The urine stays in the tubing until I take the condom catheter off, which releases the vacuum and lets everything pour into the bag. Similar to putting a straw in water and holding your finger over the top. It looks like the vent on the hollister bags are at the top of the bag itself, which won't help the problem I'm having. I need the tubing to be vented. I know people have been using leg bags for 30+ years so this can't be a new problem. What are my options for preventing the vacuum effect in the tubing?

Try a reusable like: https://www.medexsupply.com/urology-...html?pid=51784
    I gave up that plastic crap years ago. Leaks, kinked valves, torn mounting holes.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Try a reusable like: https://www.medexsupply.com/urology-...html?pid=51784
    I gave up that plastic crap years ago. Leaks, kinked valves, torn mounting holes.
    Thanks, but I don't have a problem with the durability of the bag. I just need to find a solution that prevents the vacuum effect in the tubing. It looks like the hollister leg bag kit has a vented tube, but I don't think they sell it separately. I may try ordering the kit and just swap it's tubing onto my urocare bag and see if that solves the problem.

And from the research I've done it doesn't seem like many people are having the issue I am, so I'm not sure what the difference is...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    Thanks, but I don't have a problem with the durability of the bag. I just need to find a solution that prevents the vacuum effect in the tubing. It looks like the hollister leg bag kit has a vented tube, but I don't think they sell it separately. I may try ordering the kit and just swap it's tubing onto my urocare bag and see if that solves the problem.

And from the research I've done it doesn't seem like many people are having the issue I am, so I'm not sure what the difference is...
    If I'm understanding right you are also having a problem with the tubing collapsing? If that's true go to a hardware store, get some plastic tubing. I've used this for years. No kicks and no latex problems. Its also cheap and clear so you can see your urine.