Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intercourse w sp

Disconnecting is not encouraged (keeping a closed system is much better for infection prevention) but if you must, then you can simply fold the catheter back on itself and secure with a rubber band. I would not put anything unsterile inside the lumen of the catheter.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Test them first somehow. They might be open cell.
    Testing is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Disconnecting is not encouraged (keeping a closed system is much better for infection prevention) but if you must, then you can simply fold the catheter back on itself and secure with a rubber band. I would not put anything unsterile inside the lumen of the catheter.

(KLD)
    When a regular catheter plug is used it isn't sterile, it is clean, i.e, soap and water and/or alcohol wipe (Granted it breaks the closed system). If an ear plug, after testing works, of course you would use a new one each time and wipe it down with alcohol before use.

Regular catheter plugs are sterile when still in the wrapper. Of course if you are reusing the, they are not.

(KLD)

Works for us I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Sorry, I have to disagree with my colleague. Once you remove a SP lndwelling catheter, it must be replaced within 2 minutes. If not, the stoma can close up. Leave it in place, and just be sure you are using a good quality securement device (like a Statlock foley) and position the drainage bag so that you won't get tension on the bag during intercourse.

(KLD)
    ^^(A)^^