Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intercourse w sp

Intercourse w sp

Im a T5 female incomplete. After a lifetime of using a valsalva method of emptying my bladder, im now having to switch to a supra pubic because of a flap surgery. For those of you gals who have an sp, does the SP pose any issues with sex/intercourse?

Can't help you with the ladies point of view. But wondering what guys and gals with the collection bag? The catheter isn't coming out...so the options are to plug it (and hope you dont leak) or leave the bag attached. Does anyone worry about being to physical and pulling excessively on the cath?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

I would make sure your bladder is empty and you could pull the catheter out during intercourse. It also depends on whether bladder spasms are a problem could be kicked up with foreplay stimulation.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would make sure your bladder is empty and you could pull the catheter out during intercourse. It also depends on whether bladder spasms are a problem could be kicked up with foreplay stimulation.

pbr
    When my supra pubic catheter is changed, NL has to pull the old catheter out with one hand and slip the new catheter in with the other hand, almost simultaneously. Supra pubic catheter stomas can close very quickly. Pulling the catheter out during intercourse could make it difficult to impossible to get a catheter back into the bladder through the stoma. I think it would be better to plug the catheter at the funnel end, then tape the catheter to your abdomen to secure it out of the way.

Catheter Plug:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-24-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

pbr
    Sorry, I have to disagree with my colleague. Once you remove a SP lndwelling catheter, it must be replaced within 2 minutes. If not, the stoma can close up. Leave it in place, and just be sure you are using a good quality securement device (like a Statlock foley) and position the drainage bag so that you won't get tension on the bag during intercourse.

(KLD)

Ya it is not coming out except when it gets changed monthly. Maybe PBR thought it was an intermittent catheter.

Last month the Dr. came in while the nurse was changing my cath. The nurse stopped to listen to our conversation after pulling the old one out. It was less than 5 minutes and they had a bitch of time getting the new one in. Think I will need to experiment with taping it off to the side. Wish there was a soft plug...those yellow ones are harder than a corn cob. If I had feeling around my abdomen I would think it would be uncomfortable while doing the mash potato. Maybe tuck it under an abdominal binder to keep it from getting yanked on...
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Wish there was a soft plug...those yellow ones are harder than a corn cob. If I had feeling around my abdomen I would think it would be uncomfortable while doing the mash potato.
    I've never seen a soft catheter plug, but wonder if a soft ear plug may work. They are made to conform to the ear channel, so they might expand to fit the catheter funnel and seal once you fit them. They are pretty inexpensive, may be worth a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gjnl; 04-25-2017 at 07:51 PM.

All good info, thanks to all. My worry was possibility of pulling the Foley out, which you guys had good suggestions to avoid doing that. Rebecca

Ear Plugs could work...Thxs
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Ear Plugs could work...Thxs
    Test them first somehow. They might be open cell.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.