Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcycle hire - New York, Central Park

Handcycle hire - New York, Central Park

I am travelling to New York from the UK in mid-April with a few friends. We would like to cycle round Central Park so am looking to hire 3 bikes and a handcycle.

Does anyone know of a company willing to help us out with hiring? I have emailed Bike and Roll New York a few times but haven't heard back from them yet...

Thank you in advance

Chris

Have no clue but if I lived there I would let you use one of mine so maybe someone that lives there will see this and help you out. Hope it works out for you

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I am travelling to New York from the UK in mid-April with a few friends. We would like to cycle round Central Park so am looking to hire 3 bikes and a handcycle.

Does anyone know of a company willing to help us out with hiring? I have emailed Bike and Roll New York a few times but haven't heard back from them yet...

Thank you in advance

Chris

Just roll down to central park there are bike rentals and tours on every corner. Might reach out to this group for handcycle rental company's.

http://www.disabledsportsusa.org/contact-us/

Maybe you could contact Bike-on.com and see if they have a customer that would loan or rent you a handcycle in that area if they have sold to someone in that area. It is worth a shot

I don't mean to crap on everybody's idea, but I doubt there are many people in manhattan who use a wheelchair. And of those even fewer who use a handcycle.

New York is by far the most inaccessible city in the country with regard to wheelchair users. It's also one of the most expensive places to rent, maybe others have figured it out, but even put up on it's side my handcycle takes up a good 10 square feet which is like a second bedroom in a New York apartment. Plus more than 75% of households in Manhattan don't have a car, and NYC isn't the safest place (traffic wise) to ride a bicycle, the danger of being killed by a cab goes up exponentially in a low to the ground wide-bodied handcycle.

Having taken our son to NY a few years ago, I wouldn't bother with thinking about handcycling around Central Park. It's not as big as you might think, and there are lots of people (and horse carriages!) to avoid. And then you would have the problem of either leaving your chair somewhere while you're on the handcycle, or working out how to carry it on the handcycle.

But having a bit of additional propulsion is a good idea, so how about looking at a Firefly or SmartDrive? You could contact Riomobility about the Firefly, and see whether they would hire one out for your full stay in th US?

My son didn't yet have his Firefly when we were in the US. It would have been good if he had, but NY is so flat that it wouldn't have made a huge difference there.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Maybe someone in NY has an attachment you could rent or borrow again sellers of same might be of assistance

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I don't mean to crap on everybody's idea, but I doubt there are many people in manhattan who use a wheelchair. And of those even fewer who use a handcycle.

New York is by far the most inaccessible city in the country with regard to wheelchair users. It's also one of the most expensive places to rent, maybe others have figured it out, but even put up on it's side my handcycle takes up a good 10 square feet which is like a second bedroom in a New York apartment. Plus more than 75% of households in Manhattan don't have a car, and NYC isn't the safest place (traffic wise) to ride a bicycle, the danger of being killed by a cab goes up exponentially in a low to the ground wide-bodied handcycle.

Not sure where your getting your information but its off. New York is very accessible and getting around New York is simple and easy. From Uber X, WC cabs, subways, bus system, wc ferries etc.

We have been going there for vacation for last 8 years and have never had any issue with crime and we walk/roll the streets late at night and early am.

Wondering with blanket statements like your making if you have been there or just getting misguided off the internet?

On any given day you will see wheelchair and handcycle riders along with joggers and bike riders rolling though the great paths and trails of Central park.

Central park is massive! It has 6 miles of trails and paths. But you have to follow the rules and stay out of the horse paths and stay to the left on paths so faster riders can pass by.

If you dont think its big try walking or rolling from Central Park south at 59th st to Central Park North at 110th st! With elevations its a work out!

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post

Thank you in advance

Chris
    Chris here's an email I just got hope it helps!!

Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:21 PM
    To:
    Subject: RE: New York City - Renting Handcycles

Hi RollPositive,

Thank you for reaching out to Disabled Sports USA. There are a couple of organizations that have handcycling programs and might offer rental handcycles. I will include their contact information, I recommend you connect with them directly.

Achilles International
    Address: 42 West 38th Street, 4th Floor New York, NY 10018
    Phone: (212) 354-0300
    Email: info@achillesinternational.org

ASPIRE, Inc.
    Address: 128 Mercer Avenue , Hartsdale, NY 10530
    Email: ASPIRENewYork@gmail.com

You can also subscribe to receive our complimentary Challenge Magazine for information on adaptive sports opportunities and/or subscribe to get our monthly newsletter about adaptive sports here.

I hope this information is useful! If you have any question or need additional information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,
    Dave

David Alford l Program Services
    Disabled Sports USA
    451 Hungerford Drive, Suite 608, Rockville, MD 20850
    P: 301.217.0960 #214 l F: 301.217.0968 l CFC #10151