Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Mattress question

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I just switched from a Sleep Number to a Purple mattress. Best thing I ever did.
    Davey, is the Purple mattress firm enough for easy transfers? I currently use a firm air mattress with a 2" memory foam topper for comfort. Power failures are problematic--the bed goes flat and I can't use the elevator to go down to another bedroom.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpossibleGirl View Post
    May I ask what you like better about it? After 8/9yrs my Sleep Number has a small leak and I'm having pressure issues.
    -IG
    Hi IG,

    I've used a Sleep Number bed for about 20 years. At first I thought it was great. After a while, the sides began to stretch which made sitting and transferring more difficult than it should be. I'm sure the sides on your Sleep Number are also droopy. I considered buying another one recently, but after seeing that the demo unit that was in the showroom had the same issue I said forget it. I updated the topper with a 3" memory foam top when the mattress started causing shoulder pain, but it didn't really help that much. Also due to the way the Sleep Number inflates/deflates and the fact that I spend most of my time sleeping on my side, I think it's contributed to the small curvature/scoliosis that's in my back now. Many people on this site disagree with me, but I can only share *my* experiences. Here's a video that demonstrates what I'm seeing (around the 50 second mark):



    For the past year I've only been able to sleep in my Sleep Number bed for at most ~5 hours. I wake up with extreme shoulder pain and sweating. I then transfer into my power chair and sleep another few hours tilted back. I just received the Purple mattress a few days ago and it was the first time in a long time that I was able to sleep 10 hours and wake up with no shoulder pain. I bought it on a fluke since I could return it for a full refund after 30 days. Of course YMMV, but I've been very happy so far.

    - David

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Davey, is the Purple mattress firm enough for easy transfers? I currently use a firm air mattress with a 2" memory foam topper for comfort. Power failures are problematic--the bed goes flat and I can't use the elevator to go down to another bedroom.
    Hi endo,

    The Purple mattress was surprisingly firm enough to easily transfer. Sitting on the side and transferring is *so much* easier than what I was seeing with my Sleep Number. I've also found it's easier to turn. The mattress is firm, but not, at the same time. I know that sounds weird. It's a different type of feel that's hard to describe, but I've found it really comfortable. I largely made my decision based on this video:



    HTH,
    David

  4. #14
    David, thanks. I just ordered one. 3-4 week delivery.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    David, thanks. I just ordered one. 3-4 week delivery.
    Cool! I hope it works for you. Let us know how it goes.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Kulea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Purple doesn't seem to make a split top...?
    I think you would order the King Slit power base and then order two Twin XL mattresses.
    C-6/7 incomplete

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You might want to consider a turning mattress if you can afford it. I assume at C5 you are unable to turn yourself.

    (KLD)
    That is correct, I cannot turn myself. However, I don't turn at night. When you say turning mattress do you mean one with a pump that alternates pressure inside the chambers throughout the night?

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by wddamf View Post
    That is correct, I cannot turn myself. However, I don't turn at night. When you say turning mattress do you mean one with a pump that alternates pressure inside the chambers throughout the night?
    Nevermind KLD, I answered my own question!

  9. #19
    Turning is not only important to your skin, but to your lungs and renal system for good health. While you may get away without turning when you are younger, as you age it is likely to come back and bite you. And no, an alternating pressure pad (of dubious utility for pressure ulcer/injury prevention) is not at all the same as a turning mattress or bed.

    (KLD)

  10. #20
    So far I just use a regular medium firm mattress with a egg crate foam and a flat piece of foam that about 3 to 4 inches thick total and cover with comforter then use one to cover me when I sleep. I then put a couple of underpads between the comforter and the foam in case you have a accident. Usually I wake up with stomach craps before and use more on top of the comforter. Because when it happens its a 12 to 20 hour mess. I tried the cover that has a plastic cover but they break down and then you have to replace foam which is a lot cheaper than a bed. Am a para and have a king size bed and because my back hurts am all over that bed. Fell of off it one time years ago. Did have to replace the foam that one time because the plastic was cracked and it wreck one of the foam pads. But I move so much and sleep on my sides and my stomach most the time. Have replace the mattress a few times over the years because they sag after awhile. Not being able to move is a whole different story though.
    Art

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
  3. alternating air mattress question
    By Wesley in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 12:29 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •