Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mattress question

Question Mattress question

C5 complete, 9 years post injury, I've been in a hospital bed with a foam mattress since the injury, and I've had no skin problems. I think it's time for a new mattress and if money is not an issue, should I just stay with a foam mattress or should I swing for the fence and go with one with air chambers and such?

Thanks,

Dan

sleep number

Quote Originally Posted by wddamf View Post
    C5 complete, 9 years post injury, I've been in a hospital bed with a foam mattress since the injury, and I've had no skin problems. I think it's time for a new mattress and if money is not an issue, should I just stay with a foam mattress or should I swing for the fence and go with one with air chambers and such?

Thanks,

Dan
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

You might want to consider a turning mattress if you can afford it. I assume at C5 you are unable to turn yourself.

(KLD)

I'm unable to turn myself also but use an alternating pressure mattress. Never had any skin problems related to laying down.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I just switched from a Sleep Number to a Purple mattress. Best thing I ever did.

Purple doesn't seem to make a split top...?
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

If your skin is good and you don't require a powered mattress, you may wish to consider the span America pressure guard CFT mattress, which comes full-size. It's probably the highest end nonpowered mattress for people at high risk for pressure injury. Combine that with a full-size transfer master bed and you got a pretty good sleep system.

http://www.spanamerica.com/cft.php

Unfortunately SpanAmerica no longer makes their TurnSelect mattress, but a close replacement is this their APM2:

http://www.spanamerica.com/apm2.php

(KLD)

I like the heel slope. I wonder if it's good enough to ditch the booties...?
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I just switched from a Sleep Number to a Purple mattress. Best thing I ever did.
    May I ask what you like better about it? After 8/9yrs my Sleep Number has a small leak and I'm having pressure issues.
    -IG