Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Mattress question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Question Mattress question

    C5 complete, 9 years post injury, I've been in a hospital bed with a foam mattress since the injury, and I've had no skin problems. I think it's time for a new mattress and if money is not an issue, should I just stay with a foam mattress or should I swing for the fence and go with one with air chambers and such?

    Thanks,

    Dan

  2. #2
    sleep number

    Quote Originally Posted by wddamf View Post
    C5 complete, 9 years post injury, I've been in a hospital bed with a foam mattress since the injury, and I've had no skin problems. I think it's time for a new mattress and if money is not an issue, should I just stay with a foam mattress or should I swing for the fence and go with one with air chambers and such?

    Thanks,

    Dan
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  3. #3
    You might want to consider a turning mattress if you can afford it. I assume at C5 you are unable to turn yourself.

    (KLD)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You might want to consider a turning mattress if you can afford it. I assume at C5 you are unable to turn yourself.

    (KLD)
    That is correct, I cannot turn myself. However, I don't turn at night. When you say turning mattress do you mean one with a pump that alternates pressure inside the chambers throughout the night?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by wddamf View Post
    That is correct, I cannot turn myself. However, I don't turn at night. When you say turning mattress do you mean one with a pump that alternates pressure inside the chambers throughout the night?
    Nevermind KLD, I answered my own question!

  6. #6
    I'm unable to turn myself also but use an alternating pressure mattress. Never had any skin problems related to laying down.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

    Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

  7. #7
    I just switched from a Sleep Number to a Purple mattress. Best thing I ever did.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    I just switched from a Sleep Number to a Purple mattress. Best thing I ever did.
    May I ask what you like better about it? After 8/9yrs my Sleep Number has a small leak and I'm having pressure issues.
    -IG

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpossibleGirl View Post
    May I ask what you like better about it? After 8/9yrs my Sleep Number has a small leak and I'm having pressure issues.
    -IG
    Hi IG,

    I've used a Sleep Number bed for about 20 years. At first I thought it was great. After a while, the sides began to stretch which made sitting and transferring more difficult than it should be. I'm sure the sides on your Sleep Number are also droopy. I considered buying another one recently, but after seeing that the demo unit that was in the showroom had the same issue I said forget it. I updated the topper with a 3" memory foam top when the mattress started causing shoulder pain, but it didn't really help that much. Also due to the way the Sleep Number inflates/deflates and the fact that I spend most of my time sleeping on my side, I think it's contributed to the small curvature/scoliosis that's in my back now. Many people on this site disagree with me, but I can only share *my* experiences. Here's a video that demonstrates what I'm seeing (around the 50 second mark):



    For the past year I've only been able to sleep in my Sleep Number bed for at most ~5 hours. I wake up with extreme shoulder pain and sweating. I then transfer into my power chair and sleep another few hours tilted back. I just received the Purple mattress a few days ago and it was the first time in a long time that I was able to sleep 10 hours and wake up with no shoulder pain. I bought it on a fluke since I could return it for a full refund after 30 days. Of course YMMV, but I've been very happy so far.

    - David

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey View Post
    Hi IG,

    I've used a Sleep Number bed for about 20 years. At first I thought it was great. After a while, the sides began to stretch which made sitting and transferring more difficult than it should be. I'm sure the sides on your Sleep Number are also droopy. I considered buying another one recently, but after seeing that the demo unit that was in the showroom had the same issue I said forget it. I updated the topper with a 3" memory foam top when the mattress started causing shoulder pain, but it didn't really help that much. Also due to the way the Sleep Number inflates/deflates and the fact that I spend most of my time sleeping on my side, I think it's contributed to the small curvature/scoliosis that's in my back now. Many people on this site disagree with me, but I can only share *my* experiences. Here's a video that demonstrates what I'm seeing (around the 50 second mark):



    For the past year I've only been able to sleep in my Sleep Number bed for at most ~5 hours. I wake up with extreme shoulder pain and sweating. I then transfer into my power chair and sleep another few hours tilted back. I just received the Purple mattress a few days ago and it was the first time in a long time that I was able to sleep 10 hours and wake up with no shoulder pain. I bought it on a fluke since I could return it for a full refund after 30 days. Of course YMMV, but I've been very happy so far.

    - David
    Dave how do you get out of the mattress. The video I watch was the ghost bed vs the purple. I would buy the ghost bed over the purple anyday. The purple towards the side really sinks fast when you sit up and trying to use your arms to get out would really be hard. My regular mattress with the 4 inches of foam is hard enough to transfer to my chair cause I sink in so much my butt barely drags the top of my comforter. Any accident and them cells on the purple gona fill up fast then what you do? Guess you would have to cut the top off to clean it then put something else over it. I guess those cells would keep from wrecking the whole bed though. Warranty on them would be gone anyway with people like use. A lot of people say they break down a lot after a year. Then after you cut the cover off what a mess with all that white powder they use to keep all those cells from sticking together. I don't think the purple is the answer for SCI folks myself.
    Art

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 10:01 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM
  3. alternating air mattress question
    By Wesley in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2007, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 12:29 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 12:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •