Thread: Caring for Suprapubic Tube

Caring for Suprapubic Tube

Brand-New Member Here of the Suprapubic Tube Club:

Have some questions regarding the care of this apparatus that to be honest with you I am not very comfortable with.

Going to take some time to get used to this foreign object just protruding out of my skin. I have had the first change of catheter from the doctor. He put in a size 12 Foley catheter. The doctor is talking about eventually going up to a size 20 or 22. I've seen some posts here where folks recommend not going to that big of a catheter. Those are my thoughts as well. Maybe 18 Max if it will work.

The cleaning instructions were to just use soap and water around the site.

My questions are is just soap and water enough to clean the site?

Should I be keeping a gauze pad around the catheter and over the site throughout the day? I understand some folks just leave it open and nothing covering the catheter and site.

Is taking a shower and having water pouring directly on the site going to further cause infections?

Just really having a hard time trying to understand and see how having a hose protruding directly out of my bladder and through the skin in and of itself is not going to cause more infections.

Thanks for everyone's $0.02 and experiences with this.

Andy

Andy, welcome to the club. I hear you with the feelings about a hose exiting the body, you'll get over that. I've had mine for about 6 years and can tell you it been pretty much trouble free. When I had the procedure done a 16fr catheter was installed, and that's what I still have. I don't understand why your Dr. is talking 20fr, especially since he installed a 12fr.

At first I would cover it with a gauze, but it was suggested around this site that it's not necessary, so I just wear underwear as a covering, and it's been going good. There's sometime a little seeping but not really a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by weelz58 View Post
    Brand-New Member Here of the Suprapubic Tube Club:

Have some questions regarding the care of this apparatus that to be honest with you I am not very comfortable with. Those first 6-8 weeks are a bit daunting. But, after a while, you probably won't even notice it. The first change or two that you do on your own or with a caregiver is kind of strange too. That will pass with time.

Going to take some time to get used to this foreign object just protruding out of my skin. I have had the first change of catheter from the doctor. He put in a size 12 Foley catheter. The doctor is talking about eventually going up to a size 20 or 22. I've seen some posts here where folks recommend not going to that big of a catheter. Those are my thoughts as well. Maybe 18 Max if it will work. Unless you start having real difficulty with stones, sediment clogging the catheter, don't let the urologist talk you into going any larger than 18FR. In my opinion 16FR is the sweet spot. A larger catheter is stiffer and more difficult to secure to keep the catheter in place.

The cleaning instructions were to just use soap and water around the site. My questions are is just soap and water enough to clean the site? Daily oap and water are fine to use to clean the stoma site. I use HydroCleanse or Microcyn AH to clean the stoma and I like to wipe down the entire length of the catheter with those products too.

Should I be keeping a gauze pad around the catheter and over the site throughout the day? I understand some folks just leave it open and nothing covering the catheter and site. The SCI nurses don't think it is necessary to use gauze to cover the site. In fact, they suggest that a gauze pad may even increase risk of fungal infection because the area may be kept moist and dark. That said, it can't get more moist and dark when you are wearing clothes, so I don't buy into that argument. I have had a supra pubic catheter for 6 going on 7 years and put a light, split 4x4 gauze pad on the stoma daily. Even now, my stoma will ooze a bit of lymph, especially after a cath change and I just feel cleaner having a little something there to absorb moisture, rather than letting my underwear or clothing absorb the moisture.

Is taking a shower and having water pouring directly on the site going to further cause infections? The shower won't increase your chance of infection. That said, I wouldn't point a hand held shower directly at the stoma at close range.

Just really having a hard time trying to understand and see how having a hose protruding directly out of my bladder and through the skin in and of itself is not going to cause more infections. Keep the stoma and catheter clean, secure the catheter with tape or a securement device to avoid having the catheter move in and out of the stoma. If you have excessive body hair in the area, keep the hair trimmed around the stoma.

Thanks for everyone's $0.02 and experiences with this.

Andy
    Take a look at this site. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/
    The Poiesis Duette catheter has two balloons with the drainage eyelets between the balloons. The catheter is silicone and is soft and pliable. The placement of the balloons make the catheter comfortable and keeps the tip of the catheter from embedding in the wall of the bladder which can cause trauma and sometimes occlude the flow of urine. These catheters come in size 14FR, 16FR and 18FR.

Thank you all for your suggestions and experiences with this issue. I will continue to give it a shot.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    This is what I do:

1. Remove gauze dressing, then shower. Water and soap are fine, they help to remove the gunk that is stuck to the catheter.
    2. Clean with hydrogen peroxide mixed with water 50/50, use a cotton ball.
    3. When dry, apply hydrocortisone with a Q-tip (it keeps gunk from sticking to the skin around the stoma).
    4. Apply 2x2 inch sponge dressing (cut a slot to go around the catheter) with micropore tape (and skin prep if needed).

I shower every other day (or 3rd day) and keep the same dressing between showers.

I've never anchored the catheter to anything, and never had a problem with it getting pulled on. It attaches to tubing which attaches to the leg bag which hangs below my knee.
    Last edited by dnvrdave; 03-31-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Our doctors do not recommend going higher than an 18 fr. 14 and 16 drain well and if clogs then irrigate it- don't put in a bigger catheter- that is what they used to do.
    CWO