Thread: Sudden return of voluntary movement well below injury level, 9 months post injury?

Sudden return of voluntary movement well below injury level, 9 months post injury?

Looking for some advice before I get overly excited here: my father was injured in early June 2016, and was initially classified as C5 B before progressing to C7 B, with some voluntary C8 function. Notably, while touch sensation was preserved right down as far as S5, pin prick sensation was initially limited to C7 and subsequently returned as far as T3.

Just an hour ago, he regained voluntary movement the toes of his left foot. They only move a couple of centimetres - it's not like he can fully clench them or anything - but he can move them entirely voluntarily, on command, as many times as you ask him to. He's actually having a bit of fun showing off to us
    This is the first time since his injury that he has displayed ANY voluntary movement below C8, and as you can imagine myself along with the rest of our family are ecstatic.

Just wondering, what can this mean? Does it mean that he's not as final a case as his doctors have led us to believe, or is there - as I've sadly come to expect, particularly with so pessimistic a consultant - an explanation for this which means that it's nothing significant? What about the rather strange aspect that he doesn't (that ice yet heard, he's just gone to sleep now so we'll ask in the morning) have any new movement ABOVE this level and below his injury? Should we investigate getting FES or other therapies below his injury level, which had previously been written off by his medical team on the grounds that recovery is impossible?

Essentially, is this a game changer for us of any kind or is it just an insignificant thing? I'm very conscious that the movement is only slight, nowhere near full ROM - but then again, so was his finger movement the first time he moved his fingers after injury and now he more or less has fully functional use of his left hand back, with his right hand catching up slowly as the weeks go by.

any thoughts or advice here would be massively appreciated!

I really don't know much to help you. Just wanted to say yea. It's hard not getting emotional about stuff like that. I've been fixated on a little pain in my big toe for weeks now. So I totally understand. I hope it bodes well for ya'll. *Hug*

Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedSon View Post
    Looking for some advice before I get overly excited here: my father was injured in early June 2016, and was initially classified as C5 B before progressing to C7 B, with some voluntary C8 function. Notably, while touch sensation was preserved right down as far as S5, pin prick sensation was initially limited to C7 and subsequently returned as far as T3.

Just an hour ago, he regained voluntary movement the toes of his left foot. They only move a couple of centimetres - it's not like he can fully clench them or anything - but he can move them entirely voluntarily, on command, as many times as you ask him to. He's actually having a bit of fun showing off to us
    This is the first time since his injury that he has displayed ANY voluntary movement below C8, and as you can imagine myself along with the rest of our family are ecstatic.

Just wondering, what can this mean? Does it mean that he's not as final a case as his doctors have led us to believe, or is there - as I've sadly come to expect, particularly with so pessimistic a consultant - an explanation for this which means that it's nothing significant? What about the rather strange aspect that he doesn't (that ice yet heard, he's just gone to sleep now so we'll ask in the morning) have any new movement ABOVE this level and below his injury? Should we investigate getting FES or other therapies below his injury level, which had previously been written off by his medical team on the grounds that recovery is impossible?

Essentially, is this a game changer for us of any kind or is it just an insignificant thing? I'm very conscious that the movement is only slight, nowhere near full ROM - but then again, so was his finger movement the first time he moved his fingers after injury and now he more or less has fully functional use of his left hand back, with his right hand catching up slowly as the weeks go by.

any thoughts or advice here would be massively appreciated!
    sounds great just keep trying so quick so I understand is great

I've been dreaming for almost 13 years that my son would move a toe!!! Your dad should just keep practicing and doing as much movement as he can and try the other foot as well! You just never know how far he can go with this, but the fact that the toes are the furthest away from his injury and he is getting some return - wellllllll that is amazing!!!

Celebrate and encourage his mind to keep trying to move.

That's great news!!! My doctors at Craig Hospital told me it may take up to 18 month's before any new function can take place. Every bit of new function will help. Just be glad at what does come back but don't look at getting everything back like it was before accident. If it does then be so excited and happy but please don't give any false hopes until they do happen. My life is great and very happy. This is a tough time but it does get better for all involved. Take care!

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Hi concernedson. My injury was three years ago. A few weeks after my injury, I realized that I could sometimes move one toe,...but only 'down', not 'up and down'. So, after a couple of tugs "down", I had to wait a while before another attempt. After a year and a half, two more toes began to 'accompany' that first toe,...but still only in one direction. Today, my foot is a little swollen, and I can't get the toe to move. It will probably move again by this evening. There you have it. In my case, there's been almost no change. Whatever improved action I've gotten has been on days that my health was best, and losses come on days when I'm not doing so well. Despite the fact that I can't "do anything" with toes that simply flex in one direction, still, I feel much satisfaction in the awareness that my brain has conscious control over that small spot located five feet from the top of my head,...that there is a nerve connection between the two furtherest extremities of my body.

Yet, I have read stories that are completely different from my own. Some people have regained some movement after a few months and have made incremental gains thereafter, even so far as being able to walk. They live in a different world from mine. It's great that your Father has his family to rejoice with him over his newfound toe movement. But having all of you with him long-term, even if that's the extent of his recovery, will give him his most profound happiness.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Thanks for all the replies! Just as an update, things have progressed pretty rapidly since I posted this. His physiotherapist visited last week and told him that his left ankle muscles were firing too even though he wasn't yet aware of it - today, in his sitting position, he managed to lift his left leg upwards by several inches, which means he now has some hip flexor action as well - and he can do this any time he wants, at will, so it's not just a random thing or a spasm.. From being told he could never possibly regain anything below C8, he's pretty ecstatic and we're now insisting that somebody from his former rehab hospital come and do a full re-evaluation of his ASIA scores, pin prick, light touch, movement etc so as we can see where exactly we're at with this.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!