Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does tread pattern direction matter?

Question Does tread pattern direction matter?

Particularly in relation to Schwalbe MPs.
    I roll with the tread pattern >>>>> in the direction of travel/rotation but because I have 4 degrees of camber they show wear just inside the centre line. Is it okay to swap the wheels L-R so the tread is travelling <<<<<< ?

I swap mine all the time and I can't tell the difference. I say if you want to swap 'em, swap 'em.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Putting the wheels on left or right will still wear the same inside spot.

To wear the other side (currently the outside) you will need to take the tire off the left rim going >>> and put it on the right rim going the exact same way >>>.

Do the same for the opposite side...take the right tire of the rim that is going >>> and put it on the left going >>>.

By doing that the current inside on both tires will now be on the outside. You will also keep the tread going the intended way (if that matters).

Quote Originally Posted by pacrossbow View Post
    Putting the wheels on left or right will still wear the same inside spot.
    Of course, silly me!

I switch mine all the time as well. Because of my order of operations getting into and out of the car they just naturally are switched every time I'm in and out. I've never noticed a difference with the treat facing forward or back. In fact my latest tires are both MPs, but I guess they changed the tread pattern so that the treads don't match. Still can't tell a difference.

If you wanted to get really hardcore you could flip the tires on the rims to make the insides outsides and the outsides insides.

The only time it should matter is if the tires are marked directional. Usually an arrow indicating direction. In that case you would have to remove tire from rim and place on opposite rim. Not just remove from rim and place unworn part on the inside. If they are not directional you do not have to move tires from one rim to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Owl View Post
    Particularly in relation to Schwalbe MPs.
    I roll with the tread pattern >>>>> in the direction of travel/rotation but because I have 4 degrees of camber they show wear just inside the centre line. Is it okay to swap the wheels L-R so the tread is travelling <<<<<< ?

Think tractor tyres,mc tyres. The tread direction >>>> gives purchase and better steering while going this way <<<< doesn't; <<<< causes resistance but I doubt that it is noticeable on the small footprint
    I'm using Right Runs as the lack of tread means less resistance and less crap being caught up and delivered inside my home.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I'm using Right Runs as the lack of tread means less resistance and less crap being caught up and delivered inside my home.
    It's all fun and games until you get stuck in the mud with no treads.

Just kidding. I'm thinking about a pair of those myself for my next tires. Tread is basically meaningless on tiny tires like ours for the vast majority of purposes.

At the tortoise-like speeds we travel I don't think thread direction is all that meaningful.

Like like to keep the pattern going in the same direction, but it's purely aesthetic.