Thread: AD questions - fluctuating blood pressure

AD questions - fluctuating blood pressure

Seems like once a week my catheter gets clogged and I get autonomic dysreflexia. I'm drinking enough water so I don't know why it's happening and this never used to happen before I switched to latex catheters so maybe it's that, but anyway my blood pressure goes up and then drops back to normal after 10 to 15 seconds when it happens. My systolic doubles and my diastolic sometimes triples. This happens every 15 to 20 minutes before I either end up pissing myself or I get my catheter changed.

I'm concerned because I'm in a nursing facility and they won't treat autonomic dysreflexia because they don't really know what it is and I've told them multiple times, but I guess how we treat autonomic dysreflexia is against their protocol. Total BS in my opinion.

My questions -
    Are these normal autonomic dysreflexia symptoms and should I worry about getting it treated? I'm getting the head and neck tingling, goosebumps, high blood pressure, but only for 10 to 15 seconds. No headache or sweating, but I do get a pounding heartbeat.

How do you treat your autonomic dysreflexia? I was originally tought the nitropaste way, but apparently that takes a while to kick in and I would imagine it would be hard to do independently. I'm a c5-6 quad and I've never had to use the nitropaste. I've heard of people using the nifedipine tablets and nitroglycerin spray
    Last edited by LazyLegs; 03-20-2017 at 09:00 PM.
    Male - 20 y/o - c5/6 ASIA B since summer 2013

Latex catheters clog much more than silastic or Teflon coated. How much water do you drink? Would the do a daily Renacidin catheter installation?

Your AD care or lack of it is alarming and dangerous! Have you met with both the director of nurses and you physician about this? Provided the with copies of the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine's clinical practice guidelines for AD management? Spoken to the state nursing home ombudsmen? Do you have any family or good friend you can talk to? You can die or have a serious stroke from AD. Tell them that failure to treat it correctly is medical negligence and if you have a serious complication due to their neglect you or you family will file suit.

Quad coughing is not a respiratory therapy treatment. Nurses and aides do this in hospitals, clinics, and home care all the time. Who is paying for your care? You may to notify them they are paying for care that does not meet you basic needs.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Latex catheters clog much more than silastic or Teflon coated. How much water do you drink? Would the do a daily Renacidin catheter installation?

Your AD care or lack of it is alarming and dangerous! Have you met with both the director of nurses and you physician about this? Provided the with copies of the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine's clinical practice guidelines for AD management? Spoken to the state nursing home ombudsmen? Do you have any family or good friend you can talk to? You can die or have a serious stroke from AD. Tell them that failure to treat it correctly is medical negligence and if you have a serious complication due to their neglect you or you family will file suit.

Quad coughing is not a respiratory therapy treatment. Nurses and aides do this in hospitals, clinics, and home care all the time. Who is paying for your care? You may to notify them they are paying for care that does not meet you basic needs.

(KLD)
    Yep, I've met with director of nurses and a physician about this. From now on I'm just going to be more assertive and tell them to come change the catheter and if a nurse isn't in here within 5 minutes I'm calling an ambulance. That should make them come quicker haha.

I drink a fair amount of water, about 5 to 10 cups a day.

I never brought up quad coughing though.
    Male - 20 y/o - c5/6 ASIA B since summer 2013

either way you need to be more assertive about your care if you can be. most people in a facility do not have the capability to do that unfortunately as most have dementia or other reasons. my next question would be why are you in a facility to begin with? at a c5-6 you should be able to live on your own with a care assistant coming in to help you with the things you have trouble with.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

LazyLegs, i'm not sure if you are stuck in bed when you have these episodes or not but five years ago I was in a rehab center which was basically a glorified nursing home staffed with a legion of dimwitted dolts. I was recovering from surgery and while in bed I had an indwelling catheter her to manage my bladder. The bedside drainage bag tubing was always coiled into loops that made training my bladder more difficult because it required more pressure from my bladder to push the urine through the loops and into the bag. I would sweat and get very clammy and spastic until I could get someone in there to place the bag far down towards my feet as possible so the tubing was straight and the urine could flow freely. This may not be your problem but it was certainly my problem when I was in this rehab center.

Any chance you've got a latex allergy? I had to switch to silicone because of just such a problem; AD and all.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12