Thread: will a cystoscopy stretch out my urethra?

will a cystoscopy stretch out my urethra?

I?m a C5, 17 yrs. out. I?ve had a lot of problems w/leakage (through my urethra) caused by bladder spasms for the last 8 yrs. or so. My new urologist wants to do a cystoscopy to check for stones, but I?m concerned about stretching my urethra out, which I think would create a major problem. What are the chances of this happening?
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

I don't think the first line of diagnosis of bladder stones has to be a cystoscopy. Your urologist can use less invasive tests like:

• Computerized tomography ( CT )
    • Ultrasound
    • X-ray

If done correctly and with care, I don't think you need to be worried about stretching the urethra in a cystoscopy procedure.

Are you taking anticholinergic medications like oxybutynin that can ameliorate bladder spasms and leaking?

I have had a SP catheter since 1997. Three years ago I had to have a cystoscopy to remove bladder stones. They went through the urethra and found that I had a stricture near/at the sphincter which caused me to bleed quite a bit for a couple weeks after the procedure. Later, I began to leak a little through the urethra but eventually quit. The next time I had another cystoscopy, I insisted he use the SP stoma due to the previous problem. He still tried the urethra while I was expressing my wishes not to but did not heed my warnings until he reached the stricture and had trouble getting into the bladder. He then went in through the SP stoma. From here on out, my urethra is an exit only portal.

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    I?m a C5, 17 yrs. out. I?ve had a lot of problems w/leakage (through my urethra) caused by bladder spasms for the last 8 yrs. or so. My new urologist wants to do a cystoscopy to check for stones, but I?m concerned about stretching my urethra out, which I think would create a major problem. What are the chances of this happening?
    Short answer is yes. But the good news is that your urethra will go back to it's normal size. It also gets stretched everytime you cath (assuming you do that).

Cystoscopy is not without risks (nothing is without risks), but the stretching of your urethra isn't one of them you need to worry about.

to "gjnl"

I had an ultrasound last week, and used to be on enablex, detrol and oxytrol patch. went off of them because the leakage temporarily went away. don't want to take them again due to expense/cognitive side effects

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I have had a SP catheter since 1997. Three years ago I had to have a cystoscopy to remove bladder stones. They went through the urethra and found that I had a stricture near/at the sphincter which caused me to bleed quite a bit for a couple weeks after the procedure. Later, I began to leak a little through the urethra but eventually quit. The next time I had another cystoscopy, I insisted he use the SP stoma due to the previous problem. He still tried the urethra while I was expressing my wishes not to but did not heed my warnings until he reached the stricture and had trouble getting into the bladder. He then went in through the SP stoma. From here on out, my urethra is an exit only portal.
    hmmm...would going through my SP stoma also work for me, being a girl? would the dr. have to remove my catheter?

Yes, cystoscopy can be done through the SP stoma for either men or women, but if the urologist is also looking for problems in the urethra (strictures, false passages, diverticuli, etc.) they will not be able to identify these problems if it is done this way. Of course the catheter must be removed and replaced either way the cystoscopy is done.

(KLD)

I don't why there would be a difference between a man's SP stoma and a woman's. The doctor had to remove the catheter but that wasn't really a problem and it prevented any damage to my urethra. Unless my doctor told me that it was 100% necessary to go through my urethra (for whatever reason), I personally will insist on using the stoma. I never wanna see blood coming out of my penis again... or urine. That is why I got the SP in the first place.