Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Are Sealed AGM (sealed lead acid) batteries legal for airline use? Second question, which battery type would provide longest daily use? I've read on this forum about how great MK gel batteries are but are they really worth 3 times the price of Sealed AGM.

I would refer you to this thread that was recently started: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=batteries

There may be more on going discussion on that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I would refer you to this thread that was recently started: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=batteries

There may be more on going discussion on that thread.
    Thanks for the reply, I already read that thread but really no discussion about the longest lasting or most powerful battery types. My chair uses NF 22 UB12550 with 55ah batteries. Was wondering if there was something out there with a higher ah and if it would be safe to use it.

After a little research I found that AGM are ok for airline travel. Also, it seem that gel batteries last longer than AGM if you will be draining the battery more than 50-60% between charging, which I'm sure I do. The articles said that gel batteries need to be charged differently than AGM so I'm curious if my standard 4amp charger would work or would I need a different type of charger

I have a set of AGM's in one chair and gels in the other and have been using the same charger. The AGM are at least 5 years old and still function pretty well, but I rarely discharge below 50%.

I thought I'd restart this thread instead of starting a new one because it's less than 6 months old.

6 months ago I bought a set of NF 22 UB12550 AGM 55ah batteries online from a place called APEX Batteries. The price was good, @ $200 for the pair. But I've already began to notice a significant drop in the distance I can travel before I need to charge them. I take good care of my batteries, I put them on the charger after every time I use my chair. I usually only use my electric @ 2-3 hours a day. But I do put a lot of distance on it, Like cruise around Costco for an hour then go grocery shopping, then go check my mail (I live in a condo complex so it's probably over a half a mile back and forth to the mail box).

My question is has anyone noticed a significant difference between battery brands, I got almost year out of my previous set, I believe they were Duracell. Also, a can get a pair of NF 22 GEL for around @ $300, do you think that the extra cost is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I thought I'd restart this thread instead of starting a new one because it's less than 6 months old.

6 months ago I bought a set of NF 22 UB12550 AGM 55ah batteries online from a place called APEX Batteries. The price was good, @ $200 for the pair. But I've already began to notice a significant drop in the distance I can travel before I need to charge them. I take good care of my batteries, I put them on the charger after every time I use my chair. I usually only use my electric @ 2-3 hours a day. But I do put a lot of distance on it, Like cruise around Costco for an hour then go grocery shopping, then go check my mail (I live in a condo complex so it's probably over a half a mile back and forth to the mail box).

My question is has anyone noticed a significant difference between battery brands, I got almost year out of my previous set, I believe they were Duracell. Also, a can get a pair of NF 22 GEL for around @ $300, do you think that the extra cost is worth it.
    The brand I hear about most is MK Batteries. The tech (a wheelchair technician for 15 years) who made adjustments to my new Permobil (which came with MK Batteries) swears by them...says there is no better.

http://www.mkbattery.com/

It's a false economy to buy the cheaper batteries, you only get what you pay for.

Thanks for the replies,

It seems to me that 6 months or even 1yr is awfully small amount of cycles (probably 150-320 cycles, some days I stay home and don't use my electric chair), not sure of the distance but I'd guess 1-3 miles. It's an old chair(in great shape), I bought it used so I don't know how old exactly, maybe 10yrs. I wonder if the motors have become inefficient. I mean, the new version of this chair, the Pride 600 ES, has the same batteries and says it has I range of 16.5. I know you would probably be lucky to get 9 or 10 miles but I don't think my chair would get 6 miles on new batteries.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of MK Gels. If these don't last more than a year I think it might be best to move on to a newer chair.

MK has always worked well for me. The one time my DME tried to use a pair of non-MK's, they failed within a month. So I recommend MK. They can take a while to break in however.