Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Batteries

When you get the new batteries check them with a volt meter, they should be at least 12.80 volts. New, fully charged they should be around 13.30 volts. They should also be close the the same voltage. You should also connect them in parallel overnight to balance them so the charge equally.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    MK has always worked well for me. The one time my DME tried to use a pair of non-MK's, they failed within a month. So I recommend MK. They can take a while to break in however.
    What do you mean "break in"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    When you get the new batteries check them with a volt meter, they should be at least 12.80 volts. New, fully charged they should be around 13.30 volts. They should also be close the the same voltage. You should also connect them in parallel overnight to balance them so the charge equally.
    I've been using an off board 24v 4amp charger. Can I use this on the MK's? Also, hook them up in parallel to what? That would create the wrong voltage for the wheelchair.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 09-08-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Yes, that charger will work, it'll just take longer. Before you install the batteries connect negative to negative and positive and let sit over night. This will ensure the voltages of each battery will be equal when you install them.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I've been using an off board 24v 4amp charger. Can I use this on the MK's? Also, hook them up in parallel to what? That would create the wrong voltage for the wheelchair.
    MK is very approachable. If I were you, I'd run your questions by them. Or at least read their FAQs at http://www.mkbattery.com/content_con...-reference-faq

There are also downloadable guides under HME Mobility at http://www.mkbattery.com/content_con...ical-reference

Specifically, you may want to pay attention to http://www.mkbattery.com/content_con...ment-batteries

and http://www.mkbattery.com/content_con...rence-faq#faq6

thanks for the links.

I have viewed those before but didn't really find concrete answers. They say things like use your manufacturers charger and charge after every use, then they say don't top off. So if I zip in and out of a store real quick then come back home, do I charge or don't charge. They say the ideal discharge is @ 50% but I have no way of knowing that. My chairs charge indicator will normally say on full charge. Then when it starts going down, it will be in the Red within a 1/2 mile.

Well, I'm sure it will all be fine. Just don't want to screw up $400 worth of batteries. That would hurt.

My guess is are you in a Pride branded chair?

Bad news NF22 are already a big downgrade in performance in the 1st place...most are getting less then 10 miles tops on them when working perfect. After 6 months that starts breaking down.

So if you buy a cheap brand battery you're shooting yourself in the foot.

MK is a leader in mobility batteries but some are having issues with them also.

Do you have insurance and or medicaid or medicare? They are covered...

One bad thing about buying online is you have no idea how long they have been sitting there not charged.

Most DME can get fresh built batteries with a guarantee to them.

Prices are $420 a pair on up...

http://www.1800wheelchair.com/produc...caAvNIEALw_wcB

Forget the chair's charge estimate lights, they are truly rarely correct, except when it reads red. Then the "voltage" has dropped below 12 VDC. To understand lead acid batteries you require a thorough knowledge of the chemistry of them. Your questions while good, show you very much like myself, do not have that thorough working knowledge. Try reading all the information available on the BatteryUniversity.com web site. If you go to that site, you will realize that we cannot easily answer your questions in a few short sentences. There is a lot to this subject. Once you have read the information on pb/lead acid batteries and you think you understand it all, read it all again you WILL find there is always more to get out of it. There is a lot of battery information on the WheelChairdriver.com web site as well.

Batteries must be matched in "VOLTAGE" before you can charge them the first time. If one battery is slightly higher than the other, the charger will not see the lower battery's difference and it will charge to the higher battery's voltage tenths of a volt are huge. Those mismatched battery's will live very short lives. They never get close to being fully maximized. You cannot use the chair's wiring harness to hook batteries in parallel. (12 Vdc and 12 Vdc parallel still equals 12 Vdc) nor can they be hooked up to the chair, without some sophisticated customized wiring harness. Just use some common jumpers to connect positive (+) to positive (+) and negative (-) to negative(-) after 12 hours connect the battery's to your chair's harness and charge them normally, without the jumpers.

There are some battery chargers that can tell you how many amp hours were replaced during the charge cycle. They are $$$$ but if you do the math they may well be worth the $$$ to you.

I get 4 to 6 years with plain old pb batteries! But I don't travel far now, and I charge them intermittently (partially) whenever I am near my charger. I buy/ pay for my own chairs el-cheapo's off craigslist when I see them cheap enough and close enough. I buy my own batteries, not Medicare or Insurance, so you can appreciate my economy. MK batteries are the best in deep cycle and the glass mat are excellent for sports use power chairs, they charge quicker, and that battery system has the ability to produce their power more quickly for use.