Thread: Batteries

Batteries

Are Sealed AGM (sealed lead acid) batteries legal for airline use? Second question, which battery type would provide longest daily use? I've read on this forum about how great MK gel batteries are but are they really worth 3 times the price of Sealed AGM.

I would refer you to this thread that was recently started: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=batteries

There may be more on going discussion on that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I would refer you to this thread that was recently started: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ight=batteries

There may be more on going discussion on that thread.
    Thanks for the reply, I already read that thread but really no discussion about the longest lasting or most powerful battery types. My chair uses NF 22 UB12550 with 55ah batteries. Was wondering if there was something out there with a higher ah and if it would be safe to use it.

After a little research I found that AGM are ok for airline travel. Also, it seem that gel batteries last longer than AGM if you will be draining the battery more than 50-60% between charging, which I'm sure I do. The articles said that gel batteries need to be charged differently than AGM so I'm curious if my standard 4amp charger would work or would I need a different type of charger

I have a set of AGM's in one chair and gels in the other and have been using the same charger. The AGM are at least 5 years old and still function pretty well, but I rarely discharge below 50%.