Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight reduction tips for wheelchair users

Weight reduction tips for wheelchair users

Hi Guys, I found this blog post very important to share with you all. It discusses various tips for how we people, having sci, can manage and control our weight. Weight control is one of the most important issue, we must be taking care of, as all of our active independent rehab life depends on it ! Please read this : http://spinalinjury.info/weight-redu...elchair-users/
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

BSC computer science from virtual university and Bsc(HONS)/ Msc Applied physics/ Electronics from University of Karachi.

Web developer/ blogger / teacher . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Blogs at http://spinalinjury.info

Some good tips are in this blog. However, there is controversy about pushing a wheelchair, even if you can, due to the shoulder injuries that we are seeing over the long term. Also, in the weight loss literature there is quite a bit about "diet" beverages actually causing weight gain. You might want to update these two areas.
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Some good tips are in this blog. However, there is controversy about pushing a wheelchair, even if you can, due to the shoulder injuries that we are seeing over the long term. Also, in the weight loss literature there is quite a bit about "diet" beverages actually causing weight gain. You might want to update these two areas.
    ckf
    Thanks, i will definitely bring it to the notice of the post writer.

BSC computer science from virtual university and Bsc(HONS)/ Msc Applied physics/ Electronics from University of Karachi.

Web developer/ blogger / teacher . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Real weight reduction tips for wheelchair users.

Fahad your blog is good but you missed some important points in diet for someone with a spinal cord injury.

Diet high in calcium (milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, Greek yogurt) with a bisphosphonate such as fosamax, actonel, boniva, etc. To help prevent bone density loss.

The importance of protein in the diet for good skin and wound healing. As you age healing takes longer.

Now, as a fat child that turned into an obese teenager before McDonald's supersized everything including a new generation of supersized people I know what it is to be obese and what it takes to keep the weight off. I tipped the scale in 1977 over 300 pounds. I had one lady say to me, "You don't know what it like to be fat!" Well, I educated her on being fat! It is almost 40 years that I kept the weight off as an able-bodied person and now spinal cord injured.

Some of the changes I incorporated in my new lifestyle are:

I detoxed myself of all forms of sugar. Today no sugar enters my mouth.

No alcohol. No recreational drugs.

I don't eat junk foods; ice cream, pizza, chips, sugar sodas, cookies, cakes, candy, etc. (You know what junk food is.)

I eat plenty of Greek yogurt, eggs (many), cheese and skim milk.

The most difficult time of the year is from Halloween to after the first of the new year. Why? Halloween has candy then Thanksgiving before, during and after. Food, food, food. At 12:00 p.m. Thanksgiving day starts the Christmas season with parties, family get-togethers, friends out drinking, work parties, work cookies and donuts and Christmas dinner then New Year's Eve celebration. It never ends!

You need to deal with people who offer you food during this time period especially at work. Say, "No thank you."

Additional exercise besides pushing your 'chair such as weight training with light weights to keep your upper body strong.

Agree with Fahad with drinking plenty of water and fluids. I drink 4-6 liters a day. It may vary for you.

I don't believe diet sodas causes you to gain weight. I've been drinking them for more than 40 years now. Please don't tell me aspertame gives you brain cancer!

I only eat cake at certain events such as my birthday or at weddings. When I do eat cake it is a sliver slice size.

Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits.

I have 4 to 6 small meals throughout the day instead of the traditional 3 meals a day.

Since I was injured in 1987 I never got weighed until last August when I had to be admitted to The Cleveland Clinic for pneumonia, empyema and pleural effusion. I was weighed then at 130 pounds at 6'-1". How I go about knowing if I gained weight is if my Levi's become tight that tells me I've need to watch closer to what I eat. I go by pant tightness and no number on a scale. Also pinch below your belly button. That should explain how much belly fat you have.

When outside take deep breathes to fill your lungs.

Don't miss your annual physical. If I would have skipped last year's physical I would not be here writing this.

Yes, still today I watch what I eat.

I had a nutritionist tell be because I didn't eat junk food I was malnourished!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 03-16-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

I don't eat junk foods; ice cream, pizza, chips, sugar sodas, cookies, cakes, candy, etc. (You know what junk food is.)
    Your a masochist Ti, a masochist I say.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Your a masochist Ti, a masochist I say.
    Agreed. No beer? No pizza????

Blog Entries
    Somethings folks might want to try, if they want to lose weight, is eating less and moving more. I heard that works.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Thanks for the detailed response "Titanium for motion' !

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

Ti
    OOOPS ! So much precautions. How you manage it?. It is literally impossible for me.

In picture you look slim. Is it the older one?

One word, MODERATION. Two words, PORTION CONTROL.

I eat a lot of different foods, including treats now and then (with out guilt) 1oz of dark chocolate and a glass of wine every day. I'm 6'3" and 125 lbs. 71 years old.

That said, you just can't deny metabolism...

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    One word, MODERATION. Two words, PORTION CONTROL.

I eat a lot of different foods, including treats now and then (with out guilt) 1oz of dark chocolate and a glass of wine every day. I'm 6'3" and 125 lbs. 71 years old.

That said, you just can't deny metabolism...
    You're 6'3" & 125 pounds? Before my injury I was 6'6" and 185 pounds, and I was skinny as hell. That sounds way thin... just saying.