Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with hand controls

Good point Nurse. Slowing down helps too. Racing seats have extra side support for able bodied drivers.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson

T5/6 complete

SCI-nurse is right and electronic stuff is more apt to break down and more expensive/difficult to fix. Simple mechanical linkage is dependable.

The question is, you want the DARIOS electronic gas ring because it looks better than other hand controls (even though you will have to use a push brake)?

That is the conclusion I have come to from your post.

Have you tried to think about parking with one hand on the brake and the other steering/controlling gas without a steering knob?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    if you drove before your injury you don't need a driving school (unless required by law I guess). In rehab my driving training began by the instructor telling me to pull out of the garage into downtown Atlanta rush hour traffic. I guess they figured if we survived that meant I passed. It wasn't difficult.
    ah shepherd then straight to 75 85 right down town

I?ve had Monarch hand controls for thirty years and they become as natural as using your feet for the gas and break. The first time I drove with them was the day I had them installed, I had to drive forty miles home. By the time I got home it was automatic but the first ten miles were a little unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    ah shepherd then straight to 75 85 right down town
    Lol, sounds like you've been there. My instructions were literally like this:

"Push forward for the brake, push down for the gas. Okay it's 4:45, go ahead and turn onto Peachtree Street."

I though the same thing about how natural it feels but I use push rock and it's become just as natural as using your feet and cost way less I wouldn't and didn't pay for that system it's cool but not that cool and everything electric just cause for possible problems I mean what if it stops working and u can't go or stop? Push pull is simple attaches to peddles and likely not to fail

I thought my phone posts would not be verified so i posted more than once delete when you can.
    Last edited by MasterTenerife; 04-11-2017 at 09:56 PM.

I thought my phone posts would not be verified so i posted more than once delete when you can.
    Last edited by MasterTenerife; 04-11-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: multiple posts unnecessary

Seems, if I post from my phone my posts dont appear.

So a little update I guess, I finally paid and did the paperwork to the driving school, and driven for a few hours. first of all i dont think the push pull portable systems are legal over here in Spain, as far as i know they have to be permanently installed by professionals.
    Driving the car was easy and i didnt really have much lessons, was just told to drive in city traffic straight away, I guess because i had a bike before I didnt have much trouble.

The actual system in their car was a permanent push to break and rotate right to accelarate, it did feel a little strange but very easy to drive.
    Heres how it looks:

Sadly I still have to wait a month to be able to do an exam and then look to purchase a car and install hand controls. Wont be cheap but no other options.
    Last edited by MasterTenerife; 04-11-2017 at 05:35 PM.