Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with hand controls

Quote Originally Posted by MasterTenerife View Post
    I don't "need" it, but the normal push pull controls seem so alien for me and don't look comfortable at all.
    Besides "push/pull" there are twist throttle and lever style for the gas handle part. Either way you are still using a push brake....so $500 and can be installed/removed yourself or 14k for an accelerator ring!

With the accelerator on the steering wheel you eliminate the steering knob...might wan to try and see how that works for you first. I know I don't use my steering knob when driving on the open road but when it comes to parking/parking lots, I wouldn't want to be without it.

I wouldn't decide on hand controls by the look factor but by the purpose factor.

Btw, the exact location your hand will be in to operate the brake (for the hand controls you want - Digital Accelerator Ring DARIOS and the Main Hand Brake) is the exact location most hand control levers for gas/brake are. So either way one hand will be there the vast majority of the time you are driving. The difference is with the DARIOS you have no knob to steer with when needed.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Jesus christ 14k that's what the car costs
    Jesus doesn't care, why bring him into this?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Would sure help if you mentioned you were from Spain, too!

I'm not sure I'd want the gas on the steering wheel. Might be good for going straight, maybe (I usually go straight with a thumb steering and a finger or two on the same hand on the gas with a push brake/right angle downwards for gas control). Turning would be a mess I'd think with the gas on the wheel, how exactly would you modulate that?

Alright ive been digging some more into this, and the DARIOS Accelerator with manual break costs 5000euros in France, so that's better than 14k not cheap tho but just better.

And turns out there's actually a place on this island that supposedly has Guidosimplex usa stuff, so im surprised about that. I was already worried that I would have to ship a vehicle to France and that sounds like a nightmare.

currently waiting on the place on the island to finish of their siesta, not even joking, and hopefully i can get some price.

Im still in trouble as I've been told that there isn't a single driving school with an adapted vehicle on the whole island (Tenerife, canary islands) , can you even believe that!? So im kinda stuck on that department

Are you required to take lessons from a driving instructor or school in order to get licensed to drive with hand controls or have them installed there? This is the case in some states in the USA, but not in others. Many people just find a big empty parking lot and learn to use the controls by themselves. It is not rocket science.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    But you can get push-pull controls for less than $500, install them yourself, and be able to drive. We'd all love to drive a Rolls Royce, but a Honda gets you to the same place for a lot less money!

(KLD)
    my thoughts exactly.

Ive gotten used to a bunch of alien things and for a $14,000 price difference I'm perfectly happy with my "temporary" hand controls that have been on 3 different cars of mine and a handful of rental cars in the past decade. Actually if I do the math it would have been more like $40,000 in hand controls to put these on the cars I've had instead of $300 for the controls I actually have.

Alright ive been digging some more into this, and the DARIOS Accelerator with manual break costs 5000euros in France, so that's better than 14k not cheap tho but just better.

And turns out there's actually a place on this island that supposedly has Guidosimplex usa stuff, so im surprised about that. I was already worried that I would have to ship a vehicle to France and that sounds like a nightmare.

currently waiting on the place on the island to finish of their siesta, not even joking, and hopefully i can get some price.

Im still in trouble as I've been told that there isn't a single driving school with an adapted vehicle on the whole island (Tenerife, canary islands) , can you even believe that!? So im kinda stuck on that department
    if you drove before your injury you don't need a driving school (unless required by law I guess). In rehab my driving training began by the instructor telling me to pull out of the garage into downtown Atlanta rush hour traffic. I guess they figured if we survived that meant I passed. It wasn't difficult.

Biggest problem learning to drive was staying upright. A side bolster on the seat helps to keep you from falling over when you turn left. Hard to see the road when you're on the floor. The number of people using push/pull controls successfully is testament enough for me. They work.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson

T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Biggest problem learning to drive was staying upright. A side bolster on the seat helps to keep you from falling over when you turn left. Hard to see the road when you're on the floor. The number of people using push/pull controls successfully is testament enough for me. They work.
    Since the OP says his injury is "lumbar" he probably will have less problems with this since he would have most of his trunk muscles intact.

(KLD)