Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: urine, cut, color and clarity

wonder what causes us to get the cloudy and floaties? trauma from cathing??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Same as Oddity. I'll only add that if I drink a few light beers its does get ridiculously clear, but floaties and cloudiness are common.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    wonder what causes us to get the cloudy and floaties? trauma from cathing??
    I think just sediments from certain fluids and cells from the bladder. Sometimes I wonder if some of the floaties might be bits of urethra cells from catheter tip holes making minor scrapes going in and out. I was told that the bladder would shed cells depending on bacteria count. I know that at the tail end of any UTIs, I get a lot of cloudy sediment that is pretty white. Could also be small amounts of semen from a larger prostate, retrograde ejac, or the light trauma of the catheter insertion near prostate. But I'm no medical expert.

good points. I agree with mcduff about the hydrophilic caths creating floaties as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    I think just sediments from certain fluids and cells from the bladder. Sometimes I wonder if some of the floaties might be bits of urethra cells from catheter tip holes making minor scrapes going in and out. I was told that the bladder would shed cells depending on bacteria count. I know that at the tail end of any UTIs, I get a lot of cloudy sediment that is pretty white. Could also be small amounts of semen from a larger prostate, retrograde ejac, or the light trauma of the catheter insertion near prostate. But I'm no medical expert.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Lately, I've been getting clinically significant UTIs on paper, yet was not febrile. The colony count was over 100,000 and anything over 10,000 is significant in someone who intermittent self catheterizes. In that case I did take antibiotic so it didn't progress to fever, and possible sepsis.

Just this week I thought I had a UTI under the same conditions, pain, burning, changes in odor and color. However, this time the colony count was 9000, right at the edge of justification for antibiotic. This time, put me on a short course, just three days of antibiotic. I was tempted to let it go, but thought otherwise.

My problem is is that I have chronic pelvic burning and spasm, possibly neurogenic, possibly related to my prostate, possibly cystitis, whatever. But I'm never sure whether this burning and spasm is related to a UTI. But like others, but I start having a lot of premature bladder contractions with leakage at low volumes it's time for a specimen to the lab. Regardless of whether fever is present.