Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SmartDrive MX1 vs MX2 (Distance/Range)

Is the problem with the MX2 simply it has a different battery, less powerful then MX1? Correct me if I am wrong but with the MX1 you push to activate the motor and grab the hand rims to deactivate the motor? And with the MX2 you push to activate the motor and then tap once to deactivate the motor? The activate/deactivate actions seem very similar.

With the MX2+, you tap twice to activate the motor. It increases in speed until you tap once to maintain that particular speed, and then tap twice to deactivate the motor. I have the MX2+ and I find it to be very dangerous. I have changed the mode to MX1 to simply have better control of the wheelchair. I haven't had the device long enough to drain the battery down to zero so I'm not sure if the MX2+ mode uses more juice than the MX1 mode. But I definitely have more control in the MX1 mode for sure. It's certainly a very powerful little device and I find no need to go as fast as it is capable of doing. I can just imagine going 5-6 mph and hitting a crack in the pavement and I would go flying out of my wheelchair face first onto the asphalt. We still have plenty of snow on the ground here so I haven't been able to get out that much into parking lots, sidewalks and other surfaces but I hope the battery life isn't as bad as I have been reading about here.
    Last edited by smokey; 03-17-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Maybe the conditions it is used it can mess with the battery (uphill, rocky vs. flat terrain, extreme temps, etc.) I'm hoping to get the smart drive but I'm really wanting it for traveling and all the touring that comes with travel so a long battery life would be great but I'm also okay with taking the charging cables with me to replenish the battery when I'm able to stop and do so. I do think anything that gives some extra power throughout the day is amazing and in a small form factor I think any help the smart drive can give is great but people are going to want to get as much out of the system as possible and 3-5 miles vs. a proposed 12 miles is a big difference in practical usage. Still a lot to research about this unit for sure...

@t8burst --- I'm not disputing the fact that it's an amazing invention, I even said it was life-changing for me. However, the issue is with the HIGH REDUCTION in range and the fact that Mox Mobility refuse to acknowledge or admit it. As was pointed out in this thread, they claim in the manual it is supposed to have a 12 mile range! even when I call them they make that claim. I've had 2 different units, I've used a friends unit, and I've asked others and 4-7 miles appears to be the maximum range. This can't be a coincedence that just me and the people I talk to have faulty units!

as for the suggestions to take the charger with me... well here's the issue with that
    1) the charger is bulky, it takes up space in my bag and I already have books/computer in there
    2) this isn't a phone with FAST CHARGING that gives you 40% in 15 minutes. It's a slow charging mechanism that takes a FEW HOURS to charge to full. So simply topping it off for 30minutes to an hour wouldn't really do much... at best, it'd add a mile to the range, which is fairly useless to me..

all they have to do is keep it exactly as it is now.... but have the OPTION to add an extra battery (that connects like the MX1) and it'd be literally a perfect device that I would pay for with my own money if it wasnt covered!

and it'd be vey helpful if they could just ADMIT the lack of range! I think no one is calling them out on it or holding them accountable, which is why they're able to get away with labeling it as "12 mile range" -- yah right!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I can just imagine going 5-6 mph and hitting a crack in the pavement and I would go flying out of my wheelchair face first onto the asphalt. We still have plenty of snow on the ground here so I haven't been able to get out that much into parking lots, sidewalks and other surfaces but I hope the battery life isn't as bad as I have been reading about here.
    5-6 mph is an easy jogging speed. I'm sure I regularly exceed this indoors at work and I rarely if ever go down a hill/ramp at less that 6 mph. I'd estimate my average speed on a sidewalk is around 4-5 mph unless stupid slow pedestrians get in my way.

Anybody know what the top speed on the MX2 is?

I couldn't agree more. I have the mx2+ now and its great......... I do want to point out that the smartdrive is made to "assist" if u want more full time then I would suggest something like the zx1. I have had the MX1, MX2 and now MX2+, THEY JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER. side note I have never drained my battery during daily use testing. .
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I have done some pretty steep hills in SF and my guess is that 3-5 miles is a reasonable estimate based on how steep the incline is. I don't know why people are complaining, it seems pretty amazing that something that small can deliver that much power. I also take my charger with me in my backpack and charge when I eat lunch, stop for coffee or am in a meeting.

If you want more range and power and range get a ZX-1, otherwise the portability of the MX2 is a tradeoff for range vs weight.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

It would be awesome is someone who owns the MX2 could make a video showing what it can do. The only ones I've been able to find online so far are advertisements from max mobility or other DMEs trying to sell it. I'd like to get one to protect my shoulders, but there are too many unkowns for me to just drop $6,000 and hope for the best.

How steep a hill can it push up?
    How fast does it go?
    How does it do on different surfaces (smooth hardwoods, concrete, gravel, grass, etc)?
    What is a real realistic range - I guess this thread has answered that question 4-5 miles on flat surfaces, dropping off pretty steeply when you climb hills with it (understandably).
    How long does it take to charge? If I charge it for an hour while I'm eating in a restaurant how much farther does that get me?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    It would be awesome is someone who owns the MX2 could make a video showing what it can do. The only ones I've been able to find online so far are advertisements from max mobility or other DMEs trying to sell it. I'd like to get one to protect my shoulders, but there are too many unkowns for me to just drop $6,000 and hope for the best.

How steep a hill can it push up?
    How fast does it go?
    How does it do on different surfaces (smooth hardwoods, concrete, gravel, grass, etc)?
    What is a real realistic range - I guess this thread has answered that question 4-5 miles on flat surfaces, dropping off pretty steeply when you climb hills with it (understandably).
    How long does it take to charge? If I charge it for an hour while I'm eating in a restaurant how much farther does that get me?

I can answer a few of these.

How fast does it go?
    >> It goes 5 miles per hour as a top speed.

How does it do on different surfaces?
    >> It does well on carpet, hardwood, smooth surfaces, concrete, grass etc --- except for gravel, it's not meant to drive over gravel, even if you turn it off, it's not a good idea to have it connected over gravel because it could get stuck and ruin the drive.

Realistic range?
    >> I've tested this NUMEROUS times and on NUMEROUS DEVICES (3 different MX2s) and the max range is 6-8km which is 4-5 miles.

How long does it take to charge?
    >> I haven't done extensive testing on this -- but I just put on a timer and timed the charge-time. It was on (1 light left -- which is 10-20%) and it has taken 1hour45 minutes to bring it back to full. So that's almost 2 hours to regain 5.6km (which is 3.4 miles) ROUGHLY.
    I haven't done the math, so I think that's like 1 mile per every ... what? 30 minutes?

but yah... I'd give this device a 10/10 if they did the following
    #1) Add an external battery pack option to INCREASE the range
    #2) Make it easier to independently replace the rollers... and make the rollers cheaper... so that I can go on rough terrain, use up my rollers, and then simply change them when they've been used up. As it is now, far too much of the repair/maintenance for the SmartDrive requires the unit to be taken to a retailer and sent back to the manufacturer.... which is tedious, annoying, and takes time!