Thread: LAL mattress with lateral rotation ideas

LAL mattress with lateral rotation ideas

Hi,

I'm C5 quadriplegia complete, with limited hand functionality. I'm planning to buy a good preventive mattress to help me stay alone at night.

Going through this forum I'm inclined towards LAL (Low Air Loss) mattress preferably with Lateral Rotation because I can't turn myself. I don't sweat so honestly I'm not sure whether a LAL mattress would still benefit me the most.

I think purchasing a used mattress will not work for me because I have no friends or resource to help me in case of frequent repair and issues. I'm planning to spend most of my savings on good mattress because skin intact is my priority.

I have seen here good recommendation for TurnCair/CairTurn but these seems to be only available to VA/Government.

I would prefer mattress that supports firm setting for ADL and also good to have battery backup on event of power-outrage. I did some research and I have found following seemingly good mattresses:

DermaFloat LAL from Joerns
    Dolphin FIS from Joerns (not sure whether I would be able to afford this)
    Synergy Air Elite from Hill-Rom
    Isolibrium from Stryker
    Rotate from Sizewise
    microAir MA95Z from Invacare
    All in One from Arjo (seems to requires relatively frequent maintenance)

Another option I'm thinking about is to use a turning bed frame like Citadel from Arjo and place any good LAL mattress like Nimbus (formerly Pegasus) from Arjo on the top. I'm not sure whether this would be as efficient as a turning mattress itself but however it allows me to choose from a wide range of mattresses.

Please help me choose a good and efficient mattress. I appreciate your time and help.

Thanks

From my own foray into the matter that Dolphin mattress I hear is the holy grail, but you'll have to be able to afford the holy grail in order to buy this mattress. Silly expensive.
    The Micro Air got good feedback for the $5,000 Invacare asks.
    I have same skin concerns and sought after the Mason Air LS9500, as it has Lateral Rotation feature at a $2,600 price (just for mattress)
    I saw it offered by a few DME's on the Medicare site for my area. Supposed to be covered 80% under Medicare Part B under Group ll support surfaces for those qualifying with 2 or more Stage 2 or worse.
    What a scam, a company, Universal Medical (Dusara) stated these require an upcharge; in my case it was $1,800 for this mattress. Think about it: If the uncovered portion is 20% copay, which they claim is $1,800 that means the vendor is charging Medicare for the 80% balance.
    $1,800 is 20% of $9,000 which must be the value the vendor claims the $2,600 mattress to be. Therefor they're charging Medicare $7,200 for the same $2,600 item. A tidy rip-off
    Instead, the only mattresses provided under Medicare coverage are the cheap LAL.
    I ended up with the same LS9500 for a minimal cost found on Craigs.
    Albeit, the full likelihood that another human actually died while on the mattress I'm now using has been a bit unnerving, I have to look past it.

The Dolphin is not available in a turning configuration. None that I know of (pretty much your list) have battery back up.

(KLD)

That's right, the mattresses I think draw too much power for any kind of battery currently, though I'm sure it could be done for any motor these days.

I'm shopping for preventive mattress and bed, preferably with some kind of lateral rotation as I cannot turn position myself.
    Please recommend me a best option between the following for a good pressure prevention:
    1. a turning bed frame and a low air loss mattress on the top of the bed
    2. a bed frame with low air loss turning mattress
    Thanks.

Drive Medical makes an LAL mattress, the LS9500. It is less expensive than the others, which is why I got one of those. Documentation says it turns up to 40?. Unfortunately, the pump can be noisy. Putting padding between it and the backboard of the bed helps.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I am a para , so I know very different. But I did buy a air mattress made by drive medical. It fluctuates all night and has a dial to go from a soft to very firm. I have had it over 2 years. I know my needs are different since I can sit up to turn myself. But I bought mine on Amazon for about 50.00. My only issue is with it being plastic I have to keep a towel under me. I tend to sweat at night. But with the towel I can change it much easier than changing sheets.

We do plan to purchase a Sleep Number type bed, but are wondering which one (ie how high - 10", etc) do you recommend? My husband is a T3 incomplete with a flap surgery 5 years ago. Currently have the Drive alternating air pressure mattress, but my husband's hips fall between the air bladders, especially when he sits in the bed.

Hi, I got my father's nursing home to get him an Invacare MA95Z, and it was a huge improvement over his previous non-lateral-turning mattress. He is quadriplegic and had a few stage 3's picked up at the hospital heal while on the surface 24/7.

The angle of turn is adjustable to the degree, so through trial and error I was able to figure out that 22 degrees (out of something like 45 possible) was the perfect turn percentage for him (and you can have different numbers for each side). I saw that the Joerns only lets you choose between half-turn and full turn, so this would be one thing that would make me prefer it.

You can also dial in the exact number of minutes to spend turned left, middle and right, which my father enjoyed as well.

It is very loud, but that's less important to us even if it is obnoxious.

It's not perfect - he slides around in it a bit more than I'd like - and I can't speak for any of the other ones, but it seems solidly built and worked well enough that we are going to buy one for him.

Whichever you get, hope it works well for you!

I purchased the Invacare MA90Zback in 2013 and am very happy. It costs $3500.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am very weak in the arms, and have no muscle movement below the chest, so the lateral turning motion is essential. I don't know about it's "on demand" low air loss capabilities. I was under the impression that that capability is important only if you're healing a bad pressure sore, which I've never had to do.

We have lost power a few times, and although the bed stops turning, it does not leak any air. As for noise, I do not even hear it anymore.

I can't imagine living alone in my condition, but I know people do. I wish you all the best.