Thread: Question for Sprinter owners?

Question for Sprinter owners?

I am researching full size vans and it appears that the Sprinter van is the best option for a tall front seat wheelchair passenger. The only problem I foresee is the floor, it is not level and slightly ramps up toward the firewall. It might be possible to sit on an angle, however for comfort I suspect it will require an approximate 3 inch drop to level the floor. Anyone have experience with a modification like this on their Sprinter? It would only require about one foot of the floor being modified (the area below the stock seat base).

There is an accessible wheelchair van company that offers this modification in Florida. I am trying to find a shop on the West Coast, preferably Oregon or Washington State.

Thank you

This may be of no use to your problem. Our Sprinter is old, it's 2003 140" SHR Passenger Model.
    Have not looked at new models since none around here since Dodge dropped them. Hence no maintance availble in our area.
    I transfer and drive from orginal driver's seat. All electronics still in place under driver's seat.
    But only raised area in from on our 03 is ramp between front seats. Both driver and passenger seat are on flat floor with the only ramped area is between the front seats.
    If electronics setup still the same only thing under passanger side seat is flat from aux battery if so equiped.

**Forgot to add that on passenger side the tool kit for jack, etc is under floor. Thought point out in case you need powered securement like EZ-Lock for powerchair.

If problem is your por passger's chair width the problem, if so I understand need to lower middle section.
    Is is a tranfer from wheelchair using swivel seat base on orginal van seat be possible?

Hope OK to post this link. These folks are a wealth of information on Sprinter repairs, etc. I have been on that forum since buying our Sprinter new and they have gave good info everytime we needed advice/assistance:
    https://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

We have looked at new Dodge ProMaster, it has about a 6" shelf the front seats are mounted to.
    Ford Full size Transit we like but for SHR have go with longer wheelbase which won't work with our parking tray. The regular lenght wheelbase only comes in regular roof passenger model and medium height in cargo verison.
    BTW: If you consider either of these other two vans be sure to check out their forums. Good know ahead of time the problems they still have. One comes to mind and put us off was rain from windshield works it's way into air filter. They may of already fixed that problem I've not checked in awhile.

"Good Luck!" on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    Our Sprinter is old, it's 2003 140" SHR Passenger Model.
    I was originally considering an older Sprinter. I assumed the floor was the same as the newer models. So far, the 2016 model is the only one I have looked at in person. The fuse box is in the base of the driver's seat and the battery is in the floor directly in front of it. I am C5/6 quad and remain in my wheelchair when traveling, and will likely have to modify the passenger area floor.

Ford Full size Transit we like but for SHR have go with longer wheelbase which won't work with our parking tray. The regular lenght wheelbase only comes in regular roof passenger model and medium height in cargo verison.
    I did some more research and I am now also considering the Transit Wagon, I just wish the fuel economy was better. Based upon the photographs I have reviewed the floor is level with the exception of the transmission hump. As soon as we get a chance I will be stopping by the dealership. The short wheelbase passenger model is now available in the standard and medium height roof.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.