Thread: Wall thickness on aluminium tube

Wall thickness on aluminium tube

As an adjunct to my thread Modifying my Aero T

Before I cut the frame cross tube on the T, does anyone know the wall thickness?
    I am contemplating using threaded spacer inserts instead of welding. Contingent on the availability of suitable LH and RH taps.

I don't know the exact thickness, but I'm 99.99% sure it's too thin to thread.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I don't know the exact thickness, but I'm 99.99% sure it's too thin to thread.
    Thanks Chas.
    If that is the case then welding the cross tube is definite. The grab bar can be slugged and sleeved if needs be and also the latch tube, or it can be remade to length.
    Not wanting to hijack my own thread I will stop there and wait for any further replies on the wall thickness question.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    As an adjunct to my thread Modifying my Aero T

Before I cut the frame cross tube on the T, does anyone know the wall thickness?
    I am contemplating using threaded spacer inserts instead of welding. Contingent on the availability of suitable LH and RH taps.
    Yes it's thin. If you remove one of the seat frame end caps you can see the tube wall thickness. NB: The last few inches of the end seat tubes have what looks like a sprung aluminium insert hammered into them (Think large roll pin).

I'm no engineer but I don't think aluminium accepts thread tapping well. In my experience it's too brittle? But I stand to be corrected.