Thread: Manage bladder problems

Manage bladder problems

Hi, I'm new to the forum! 😊 I'm a 18 year old girl with a L1 (incomplete) injury. I was injured only five months ago, so this is still quite new to me.

I have noticed that a lot of the SCI people, both incomplete and complete, are catheterizing. I'm still in a hospital and need to do this once in a while when it's too much urine left in my bladder, but mostly I find a way to pee. But the ability to just pee without difficulty seems gone and it hasn't been any progress on that area. At all. I have to use my abdominal muscles and press very hard to get some urine out in that way, and that I have to repeat every single time I have to go to the toilet (though "have to go" isn't quite the right expression as I almost never feel that I have to pee, I must just follow the clock), but naturally, with all this pressing the urine is accompanied by stool. This isn't that much fun, both because of the stool and that it's tiresome and that it doesn't work too well what rest urine is concerned. In five months I have had four UTIs. But I think I should be grateful that I at least don't have to catheterize regularly.
    My question is, is there "people like me" out there who manages to use this or methods without catheterizing? And do anyone have any advice about how to make this easier?

Spontaneous, crede maneuver urination is not the most favored method for spinal cord injured to manage the bladder for the very reasons you cite, unnecessary bowel movement and high residual volumes. Most spinal cord injury rehabilitation centers teach intermittent catheterization to maintain a urination schedule that completely empties the bladder every few hours and keeps bladder pressures low. If you think you must continue managing your bladder the way you are now, you should have urodynamics studies to evaluate how much residual you have and how high the pressures are in your bladder. High pressures in the bladder can lead to urine back flowing into the kidneys.

You may still be experiencing spinal shock and swelling, so it might be a good idea to talk to your urologist and find out when you can get urodynamic studies that would give good feedback.

Four urinary tract infections in five months is a lot too many. Urine residuals in the bladder can contribute to urinary tract infection as can the frequent bowel movements. Fecal matter contaminating the urethra is a common cause of urinary tract infections even in able bodied women.
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-12-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Agree with gjnl
    crede is not the favored bladder management approach any longer
    after you get urological studies you need to decide the best long term bladder management program for your overall health.
    Agree four UTI in past 5 months is too many
    remember to think long term

pbr