Thread: When is it a bladder infection?

When is it a bladder infection?

Hi, when I feel very sweaty while voiding, that usually means the beginning of a bladder infection. That happened recently and the culture shower 100,000 colonies of E-Coli. Should I take antibiotics for that? In this case I did and my sweating stopped. How much bacteria should be present for antibiotics? I'm a C4-C5 quad.

Thanks for any help!
    Joe

Urinary tract infections in people with spinal cord injury are always considered complex. 100,000 colony forming units as determined by a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity should definitely be treated with the most appropriate antibiotic for 12 to 14 days. After the course of antibiotics has been completed, wait 2-3 days and have another UA and C&S to determine if the bacteria is gone or still present. If the bacteria is still present, you may need another course of the same antibiotic or another appropriate antibiotic.

How do you manage your bladder?

100,000 colonies is usually the maximum that is reported, so if you look closely, it is probably reported as >100,000 colonies as there is no point in continuing to count them because this represents a significant infection. So you will never be given a number higher than 100,000 colonies on a UA.

Thanks for replying! I manage my bladder by taking 1000 Vitamin C a day to keep my urine acidic and just drink a lot. I usually get 1 or 2 infections a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankman30 View Post
    Thanks for replying! I manage my bladder by taking 1000 Vitamin C a day to keep my urine acidic and just drink a lot. I usually get 1 or 2 infections a year.
    By "manage your bladder," I meant spontaneous with a condom catheter, intermittent catheter, supra pubic catheter or other.

I'm sorry, I had a Sphincterotomy about 25 years ago and have used a condom catheter since.