Thread: Automatic page turner

Automatic page turner

i'm looking to read A rather obscure book from renowned anthropologist Carslton S Coon called the origin of races. However there are no e-book copies that I've been able to find it on iBooks or the kobo store. Has anyone actually utilize these page turner devices? Do they actually work?

I have an old Zygo page-turner. It works, but it's slow. Better to just get a used copy of the book, have the spine cut off, and then run the pages through a top-loading scanner like a Fujitsu Scansnap. That's how I read a bunch of obscure titles. Takes less than 5 minutes to turn long books into PDF files.

They do work with most books, but can you not use just a book stand and turn pages with a mouthstick or even with the eraser end of a pencil in a u-cuff? The page turners are also not cheap.

The idea above regarding scanning sounds good. I found that book used for less than $30 US on Amazon.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    They do work with most books, but can you not use just a book stand and turn pages with a mouthstick or even with the eraser end of a pencil in a u-cuff? The page turners are also not cheap.

The idea above regarding scanning sounds good. I found that book used for less than $30 US on Amazon.

(KLD)
    The pages are far too thin and that takes quite a substantial amount of effort to change roughly a 700+ page book and I often will lose the page those messages are very obsolete Pages tend to stick together or you can never quite get the one etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    I have an old Zygo page-turner. It works, but it's slow. Better to just get a used copy of the book, have the spine cut off, and then run the pages through a top-loading scanner like a Fujitsu Scansnap. That's how I read a bunch of obscure titles. Takes less than 5 minutes to turn long books into PDF files.
    Does the scanner Scan the entire book itself without you having to change its position or turn the page?

If you convert it to a pdf by scanning (high spead scanner that scans one page at a time) you can read it on a computer or tablet but you will have to change pages with whatever you use for controlling your computer/tablet now. You have to remove the pages from the binding to put it into a bulk scanner like this.

(KLD)

OK thank you, looks like that's going to be the best option

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Does the scanner Scan the entire book itself without you having to change its position or turn the page?
    What KLD said. It's like creating your own e-book version. Someone just has to place the pages into the scanner and it copies both sides and saves them as a PDF. Then you can scroll or search through your file at will. I use a local copy place to cut the spines off books, they do it for free. A high speed top-loading scanner is, imho, essential for us higher injuries. Not just for books, but any sort of bills or documents, tax-stuff, etc. You don't have to rely on anyone else to keep/ find/ browse whatever you need to look at or read, be it for school, work, or hobby-wise.

This is the one I have - it's way faster than 8 pages per minute. We do books 50 pages at a time, and each bunch takes about two minutes. Then I use the editing feature to compile the separate files into one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WDewUljObg
    Last edited by Scaper1; 03-25-2017 at 01:22 AM.