Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modifying my Aero T

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Owl View Post
    I can understand that. From the photo it looks like their powdered coated frame finish, is that right?
    Tapping in a thread and slide hammer gizmo sounds good .
    Alternatively how about if you cut a piece of 6mm steel rod the same length as the internal diameter of the outer tube and radius'd the ends. Then pass it through one of the bolt holes so the ends of the rod sits neatly inside the spit tube bolt holes. Then loop a piece of steel cable behind said rod and twist and pull like buggery? Think pulling a tooth! Lol
    It's probably a naff idea and tapping it is much better, but then I've never claimed to be an engineer!
    EDIT: or something like this (T-bar) instead of the steel cable. Just thinking aloud as they say! Lol
    The T bar is a logical suggestion Night_Owl. The trouble with using it in this particular case is that the load is too localised and likely to tear the tube or bend the transverse pin. More especially now I know how tight these inserts are.
    ----------------------------------
    The mainframe and back have been split. There was a cock up with the tube cutter as the cutting wheel had a chip and wanted to track to one side so the brake clamps were utilised as guides for the hacksaw. one new 32 tooth blade made short, clean work of it.
    That bloody insert didn't want to budge and we found out why.
    The insert was tapped and that was interesting holding the frame in the vice correctly to ensure proper tapping; the camber height adjuster came in handy
    A threaded slide hammer was cobbled up but that failed to make any impression. Next was to machine up a support collar and with some HD washer and nut, the insert was drawn out.
    There is plenty of galling from it being forced in dry which is not surprising; it is not meant to be removed. There is no such excuse for them dry fitting the bloody fastenings. No lubricant used there at all.
    Tomorrow the second insert will be removed, the tubes will be lightly reamed then the solid extensions will be machined to suit.
    A couple of images.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Excuse the poor images.
    These are for you Night_Owl, thanks for your confidence in a successful outcome - those split inserts can be removed but not easily.
    As for the rest of it; the frame halves are now joined, the frame rail extensions have been drilled and fitted, there is just the back support to be widened.
    I will post the other images when it is assembled.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-01-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Great progress!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

It is basically assembled now, with only the finishing touches to be done.
    The original back upholstery will function ok but ideally 18" would be better. I had thought that the 16" sling may have enough fabric to accommodate the wider frame but that didn't work out so I am waiting on a sling that may be available, otherwise a flat base fabricated from ply or aluminium will be formed.
    I am still on the lookout for an affordable 2* camber tube that will fit or needs stretching/reduction.
    It rolls well and there will not be any problems with floating castors due to its current self-aligning feature.
    Once the clamps are locked up there is not much chance of movement occurring. That joint has been lubed with a moly base lubricant so no galling or oxidation fusing should occur and it can be removed to be lengthened or reduced as needed; reduced preferably
    The frame rail inserts extend 9cm into the frame. I overlooked puting moly on it and I can guarantee that it is not moving anywhere at anytime. Believe me, I tried.
    The backrest insert is a neat fit and it appears that it will not require any fastenings to secure. The release bare extensions are male/female threaded spacers in 316 stainless steel - a bit flash eh.
    All aluminium inserts are 6061 T651 that machined well.
    The foot plate support bends are used scuffed pieces from an old TRA as the originals were too short for the widened frame.
    At this point it looks like just the first 1" spacing is needed for the backrest location but that may change once I sort the sling and actually road test it.
    As it stands, it has 7cm of dump and I can play around with that dimension by castor size and position or camber tube height adjustment. I like this about these frames.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-04-2017 at 06:29 AM.

WOW! Looks fabulous
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    WOW! Looks fabulous

Thanks Chas, I am pleased with the results too.
    Time for some pen to paper. The chair is near enough completed except for some further minor tweaks and the addition of side guards, plus a change in wheels.
    I found a seat sling from a Karma 8020 that fitted after some drilling of the aluminium strips and hot drilling the holes on the fabric. It works OK for now.
    I had originally intended to use alloy from a donor Karma chair frame. I will say this; even though it is claimed to be 'aircraft grade', supposedly 6061, the grade alloy used on the Karma isn't a patch on the TiLite.
    The 24" solid tyres don't do it for me, so for the while they will be replaced with 25? Spinergy and 'Right Runs' off my folder.
    I have moved the camber tube forward. Even with that small alteration I've noticed that the castor angle need re-adjusting.. again.
    I'm still not sure on the Glides; being further back than the standard castors on my folder frame, they look too tippy. Maybe it is just a need to get acquainted with the feel(?).
    Is face planting a catching on thing?
    This feeling could also be a combination of the incorrect castor angle and that the original elastomers are only mid range; they need replacing with heavier pieces. Engineering Plastics in Penrose should have rod material that will suit.
    The seatback was moved to the next furthest position and the back angle was altered to a more upright position. Also, the foot plate bracket has been reversed for what I feel is a better position. While I was at it, the foot plate support tubes required an insert as the bracket was only holding onto 2cm of the original tubes.

Having a competent machinist engineer as a friend helped a whole lot; thanks Jeff. Also Leon at Znoelli in Wiri who was willing to sell me a nice offcut of 6061.
    An extra large thank you to QtiPi and her Mother for their generous assistance.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-16-2017 at 04:23 PM. Reason: images

Thanks so much for sharing pics of your work; I really enjoy seeing the progress of such a wonderful project!!
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Good onya Chas.
    In my haste I overlooked acknowledging yourself, nonoise, baldfatdad,and Night_Owl for your enthusiasm, support and suggestions. So I will put that right, thanks for that.
    One last thing to me sorted is the Glide suspension legs. The originals are medium rated and too soft for my weight and my perception.
    Replacement lurethane elastomers are being made this week using material that is at hand. At 90A they will be a bit stiffer than the genuine item but worth a punt. I will let you know how they feel.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 04-19-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks for the progress report
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>