Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying my Aero T

double post
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-11-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Chas, you may have had difficulty due to my writing. That was composed (?) at 3am or so
    I think these frames are 6061 T6 and I have some that might lend itself to the job, or I can buy a short length. The amount of material required is not much.
    I cannot operate a lathe safely now but a good mate would machine for me. These would be stepped or reinforced with heavy wall inner carrying in to the existing frame rails then welded . The frame extension for the back would be secured by fasteners through the original holes. If my thinking is correct, this would also give a 2 step adjustment range dependent on the number of holes. The holes would be spaced accordingly.
    Thanks for the alert Nonoise, I appreciate that, although that wont be a concern with widening as i would do both mainframe and backframe. The backframe grab bar(?) would be slugged in the same manner as the main frame, also the latch tube(?) would be slugged, sleeved or replaced.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-12-2017 at 03:47 AM.

Go to Aircraft Spruce. You can buy all the 6061 you want there, reasonably. I have a bit of frame pieces laying around tell me what diameter and length your looking for and I'll see what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Go to Aircraft Spruce. You can buy all the 6061 you want there, reasonably. I have a bit of frame pieces laying around tell me what diameter and length your looking for and I'll see what I have.
    That is a generous offer bfd but its a long bus ride to your place as I am down here in New Zealand.
    I have an old Karma frame due to be chopped for future use material that may be suitable. I have inquired with one of their onsellers about the grade aluminium and am waiting on a reply.
    Ardmore airport is not too far away and there are possibilities there.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-12-2017 at 03:33 AM.

It sounds like you are ready, it should be fine.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    It sounds like you are ready, it should be fine.
    Yes nonoise, I am about ready. First the camber tube and then jerry it up as near as. I'll drop the rear off so I can position myself back to get an appreciation of what the extension will provide; I think 5cm will be enough.
    I am speaking with my machinist mate on Tuesday about times and places. Then I will see the welder.
    I had a couple of replies from the Bay but no one can be bothered with shipping to the South Seas, so the course is set unless there is intervention by way of a local offer on a 16 x 16.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    The seat is 16" x 15" with a custom frame depth of 1" but still needs more depth in my inexperienced opinion. Thinking on, I am also toying with the idea of extending the seat frame to the rear with a slug insert that will carry the seat back frame. I believe that addition will give me enough depth. I can trial that out by removing the back frame and test fitting.
    I did that to my chair! I did it about 18 mths ago and still haven't got round to buying a couple of plastic blanking plugs for the end tubes! I just used hand tools but it would make the job easier if you access to decent vice, pillar drill and lathe so you can get a nice square end on the tubes. But a file and engineer's square suffice.

EDIT: The outer tubes extensions are 1" long and the slugs/internal sleeves are 3" long both are 6000 series aluminium.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Owl View Post
    I did that to my chair! I did it about 18 mths ago and still haven't got round to buying a couple of plastic blanking plugs for the end tubes! I just used hand tools but it would make the job easier if you access to decent vice, pillar drill and lathe so you can get a nice square end on the tubes. But a file and engineer's square suffice.
    EDIT: The outer tubes extensions are 1" long and the slugs/internal sleeves are 3" long both are 6000 series aluminium.
    A top job there Night Owl.
    About the blanking plugs - invite some friends around; two wine bottle caps should finish off those tubes nicely
    Quote Originally Posted by Night_Owl View Post
    NB: The last few inches of the end seat tubes have what looks like a sprung aluminium insert hammered into them (Think large roll pin).
    Beauty, thanks. From your description it is an in-house(?) split insert, so should remove easy enough.

For a rough comparison I have compared my 2GX frame depth with its' COG with the T and figure on an 8cm extension. I am confident that will be more than I require - easier to remove the excess than remake. I will use as a minimum, an equal amount of spigot that will be drilled/slotted to accommodate the seat fasteners if needed.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-12-2017 at 04:28 PM.

From your description it is an in-house(?) split insert, so should remove easy enough.
    No it won't come out, at least I couldn't get it out, I think it must be hammered in by Tilite (a tight interference fit?).

For a rough comparison I have compared my 2GX frame depth with its' COG with the T and figure on an 8cm extension. I am confident that will be more than I require - easier to remove the excess than remake. I will use as a minimum, an equal amount of spigot that will be drilled/slotted to accommodate the seat fasteners if needed.
    That's what I did. Initially I made a 2" extension and tried the backrest in both 1" and 2" further back positions to see what was the best fit for 'my frame'. In the end I decided I only needed 1" of extra frame depth so cut off the excess 1".
    As you say it's easier to do that than make another longer extension piece.

I had a play with the Glide castors last evening and now they are set correctly I find them to be very comfortable. My initial reaction to them was due to my ignorance and oversight of adjusting he COG and axle height without considering the effect on the castor angle (slaps head)

To keep my costs down.
    Does anyone have a good condition camber tube to donate / sell for my AeroT stretch and grow project?
    I have put up a wanted post for a camber tube for the project.
    If you can assist please check it out.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-19-2017 at 01:42 PM.