Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Catheter Insertion difficulty

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I intermittent cath and some days I have difficulty inserting my catheter and other days it goes fine using surgilube. On the bad days it seems like my urethra dries out so much and this causes the problem. Not sure what causes it to dry out so much where I cannot insert the catheter. Anyone else ever have this issue?
    I have been doing intermittent cathing for 39 years and have run in to this problem. A few precautionary things I do are scoot to front edge of seat partially to get out of any dump in chair because I find bladder doesn't drain fully if I am down in angle. (I also think cath has a straighter shot to bladder) At the same time if I am / was having any problems with insertion just tried to rotate each leg a bit to trigger any spasms and get things as loose as possible. Also a little relax breathing helped.

Finally, and in the past two years most relevant I have started putting lubed cath in and moving cath down and up gently before making it all the way to bladder. It seems to me that this technique lubricates the tract pretty well. I rarely have a problem since adopting this method.

I use a 14 fr cath, it is about 16" long so I insert lubed, go down about 4-5 ", pull back up ( but don't remove) gently push back down to about 9" second time and maybe third time, go all the way down to uretha assuming you are getting no resistance. For me, each time it seems to go down with less resistence. This has pretty much solved the problem, it takes about 20 seconds. The distances above are not exact but suggest you try sliding up / down a few times and seeing if it gets easier ( less resistence) each time.
    Hope it makes a difference for you.
    Last edited by ChesBay; 03-13-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo

Maybe bulbourethral gland secretion rather than urine that provides lube, but you can't rely on that every time.

Instillation of 10 mL of lubricant into urethra before catheter may help.

Was told not to use lidocaine lube for self-cath. Presumably, so that you don't hurt yourself.
    Last edited by zagam; 03-15-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Can't type SI

I agree with the hydro caths. I use regular caths and surgilube at home, and once in a blue moon, I will have the same difficulty that you're having. Have never found a correlation to anything as a cause. If you search back, you will find quite a few threads where people have had it happen.

When I am out and about, I use Coloplast SureCath hydrophyllic bag caths for convenience. If I have the stuck cath problem at home, I will use the SureCaths for the next 2 or 3 caths, and waalaa, the problem will go away and normal caths work fine again.

No rhyme, no reason, just another sci gift...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

i have experienced the same problem few times in the past, and the solution i did was to use a hard intermittent catheter with tube size of a lesser diameter instead. For lubrication i use xylocaine jelly.

If nothing works for you, you would ultimately need to convert to supra pubic catheter.

In the mean time you can read my detailed post on intermittent catheterization male guide. I hope it helps you http://spinalinjury.info/intermitten...rization-male/
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

BSC computer science from virtual university and Bsc(HONS)/ Msc Applied physics/ Electronics from University of Karachi.

Web developer/ blogger / teacher . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Blogs at http://spinalinjury.info

One thing that you have in your guide, is to recycle the catheters. Fortunately, as of right now, we do not need to do that in the US. This is just a piece of information, not a critique.
    ckf

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    One thing that you have in your guide, is to recycle the catheters. Fortunately, as of right now, we do not need to do that in the US. This is just a piece of information, not a critique.
    ckf
    Thanks for your input. Recycling the catheters idea is for those living in developing parts of the world, having low income to afford a new catheter each recurring time.
    Quadriplegic c6 complete.

BSC computer science from virtual university and Bsc(HONS)/ Msc Applied physics/ Electronics from University of Karachi.

Web developer/ blogger / teacher . Have keen interest in Astronomy / physics/ World politics / Economics.

Blogs at http://spinalinjury.info

Have you had a cysto lately? Might be worthwhile to talk to your Urologist, when I had a similar issue it turned out to be a stricture in my urethera