Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal??

Take a pic of yourself in the chair from front and side. Post it here and I'd bet money these people can tell you how to fix it.

Caster flutter is a big issue because the causes are multiples and often well hidden. But high speed make it happen easily ... and the result can be bad !
    As you have a "high speed" dog AND a Freewheel, you have also a solution : never use one without the other ! The big front wheel is a guaranty in this case.
    At normal speed (I mean: the speed you can reach yourself by propelling with your arms on flat terrain) you should NOT have flutter.
    It means, for exemple : your frame is bent (but it's not easy to bent Titanium), out of alignment (it can be fix) or wrong welded (nothing else to do),
    but also : forks bearings severely damaged, too much play in caster wheels, too small casters (for the terrain, for your speed), fork angle unappropriate or different on one side, back tire pressure very different on one side,
    And at last : too much speed, rough terrain, gravels...
    Maybe I think I have forgotten some.
    As your chair is a TR there's not a lot of things to adjust, but as Baldfatdad said, some picts will help. At least take one of the wrong caster.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Take a pic of yourself in the chair from front and side. Post it here and I'd bet money these people can tell you how to fix it.
    Thanks! It's a ZR though, unfortunately. I'm sure there's gotta be some improvements that can help, though!

Yes, the Freewheel is a godsend lol. I live in the city with crappy sidewalks, and now I don't have to worry about faceplants, and go full tilt when I want. But when I propel myself at a faster speed (like a jog), that's when it flutters suddenly. Also if it hits something sticking up a bit. If out of alignment is fixable, I wonder why the rep didn't address it? Maybe wasn't focused on that I guess. I believe the angle is different on one side, as the one wheel doesn't touch the ground completely when I am out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by heartdog View Post
    Can't figure out how to put the image in here.
    Use the "Go Advanced" button under the reply box, then select the little icon of a tree inside a box to insert the url for images from the web, or use the little paper clip icon to add photos from your computer.

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-07-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

This is of no help I know. But, one of my first powerchairs had a flat. Took to DME that got it from.
    He bought back out to showroom with wheel wobblies and chair raise and lower with wobblie. Tech didn't know what was causing it but use it a day or so and other Tech be back that might know what was wrong.

Went to next closest DME from them and Tech looked at chair. He thought someone tried to put wheel back on with cotter-pin (Key) still in the wheelhub but hub/wheel keyway not lined up. Said looked like it had been beat on far enough to get the nut back on. He took wheel off and showed us the key was not lined up with slot of hub. Wheel was really messed up and they didn't have one in stock but called around to other DME's til found one which they went picked up and installed on my powerchair.

Why posted, be sure of your DME and their ablity to repair what they sale or find someone who can assist you repair your own.
    "Good Luck!"

It seems like my only option is suing. Which I have done in the past, when a chair frame broke in half while I was wheeling, and they refused to do one that was a better fit as to not dump me out constantly. Just for the amount of the chair. (Course there's lawyers..). I hate to do that, but damn. I KNOW the tech messed it up, because everyone has pointed it out, and he banged on it for FOUR HOURS. For a bearing! Plus that's what caused me to injure myself falling, because it literally fell out at home. But it turns into he said she said, and it's a mess. Everyone blames someone else. Plus it gives you a bad rep with the DME industry when you bitch and moan...and sue!
    And now the freewheel is an issue, because the footplate I replaced the one that cracked, won't stay flat. The angle adjustable one. The DME that helped me put it on literally cut it for some reason, and the screws won't keep it from moving. Ugh. I have three screws in there now, they just move inside the tube, even thicker ones. The place drilled holes too big on one side, so I can't even turn it around. But here again, they were helping me out, so what am I gonna do? That kind of absolves any responsibility on their part. I have the worst luck, I swear.
    It doesn't seem to matter if it's out of pocket, or not. It always takes months and months turning into years to get things fixed right.

Here's some pics. As you can see, never getting moisture on them is impossible. But it shouldn't be that a dog shaking water, or a drizzle screws them up. Jeez what do people in the Pacific Northwest, where they're based do ??
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks very much for the photos. I'm sorry I can't help with the technical issues, but I have a couple of comments.
    You mentioned you are using the FreeWheel when pushing outdoors, but I can't figure out why you would have caster flutter then, as the FreeWheel is intended to raise up the front end of the chair so that the casters are not touching the ground at all. The front casters are raised, I'm guessing 1" or so, when you clamp on the device. Your front casters are not supposed to touch the ground when you are hooked up with the FreeWheel.

Also, I can see what you mean about the short frame. While you are pondering the whole problem, check your wheelchair cushion too. Is it higher in the back, causing your lap to be tilted forward? Or, if cushion is fine, then what do you think of my last post where I noted that foam add-on for footrest, which would raise your legs up a bit? That might make your lap more level, and your overall seating position would not be so forward-tilting. Yes, I can see how you would fly out of that chair if you hit a bump.
    Final note: If you do get the foam device to raise your legs a bit, it MUST be removed when you attach FreeWheel. No problem for me as it's attached to footrest with Velcro strips. I used to remove it and stick it in my van than pop on the FreeWheel to go on a local trail.