Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leave intermittent catheter in all night?

Leave intermittent catheter in all night?

Does anyone leave their intermittent catheter in all night? Any tips? I can cath sterile with intermittent catheters bc they have a plastic guide whereas a foley, I'd have to touch it with my catheter hand tool.

I think I recall a couple threads about leaving an intermittent catheter in place overnight on this forum. You might try a search to see what you find. But, I seem to recall a discussion about using tape to some how keep the intermittent catheter in place, otherwise, the catheter may work its way out of the urethra. Of course, you have to be able to drain the intermittent catheter to a collection device, like a bed bag or bottle.

Several are also placing a foley at night themselves, and cathing during the day. My Dad does this, and it makes his nights so much better. But it can be a struggle with insurance to get the foleys...

Well, I wake up around 3am to cath and have fallen asleep while doing it. Usually it come out on its own but once when it didn't after I woke up it was not easy pulling it out. Whatever water based lube had either been absorbed or dried out. So if you do go down this route you will have to use tape and some sort of I guess silicon based cath w/ lots of lube.

I usually use straight catheters, but a week ago I started having serious incontinence problems. (It's better now but I never determined the cause.) Rather than cathing 4-5 times overnight, and waking up wet anyway, I just put in an enclosed catheter for the night each of the next five days. Over the years, I've found a way to wrap it in a towel such that it stays in as long as I don't roll over. I've never had trouble removing it. Maybe that's due to what MTG uses to prelubricate their catheters.

I've been leaving an intermittent catheter in all night for about 15 years. I tape it to my dick and hook it up to an overnight bedside drainage bag. I use a Dale catheter strap to secure the drainage bag tubing to my thigh. I drink about 20-30oz. of water throughout the night and usually have 1000-1500cc of urine in the bag in the morning. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I've been leaving an intermittent catheter in all night for about 15 years. I tape it to my dick and hook it up to an overnight bedside drainage bag. I use a Dale catheter strap to secure the drainage bag tubing to my thigh. I drink about 20-30oz. of water throughout the night and usually have 1000-1500cc of urine in the bag in the morning. Works great.
    How do you tape it to your dick. Do you tape it to the shaft or head? Which catheters do you use?

Interesting thread going on here.

As gjnl mentioned above it is not uncommon to have patients use an indwelling foley just at night and use a intermittent catheter during the day.

You've undertaken an engineering challenge of taping an intermittent catheter to stay in at night. I'm sure there are some contraindications to performing such a feat but I'd have to research it. - I don't recommend it.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    How do you tape it to your dick. Do you tape it to the shaft or head? Which catheters do you use?
    NowhereMan, I use Transpore 1" tape. I tape it to the shaft of my dick with 2 strips of tape and then wrap Elastoplast tape (stretchable in case you crack a boner) around my dick to hold the Transpore tape in place. I use a soft red, rubber catheter. I asked my urologist about it and he said if it works for me (no UTI's, sleep through the night, don't piss the bed, etc.) it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Interesting thread going on here.

As gjnl mentioned above it is not uncommon to have patients use an indwelling foley just at night and use a intermittent catheter during the day.

You've undertaken an engineering challenge of taping an intermittent catheter to stay in at night. I'm sure there are some contraindications to performing such a feat but I'd have to research it. - I don't recommend it.

pbr
    Hi nurse,

I'd love to put a foley in at night but as a c6, I need to use a catheter grip tool. So it wouldn't be sterile. Intermittent catheters have a plastic sleeve to keep it sterile. I restrict my fluid intake, stop drinking 5 hours before bed, and still leak all night. I've had 15 uti's in last 2 years, so it can't get much worse.