Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Leave intermittent catheter in all night?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    NowhereMan, I use Transpore 1" tape. I tape it to the shaft of my dick with 2 strips of tape and then wrap Elastoplast tape (stretchable in case you crack a boner) around my dick to hold the Transpore tape in place. I use a soft red, rubber catheter. I asked my urologist about it and he said if it works for me (no UTI's, sleep through the night, don't piss the bed, etc.) it's a great idea.
    Thanks for your tips, i'll try it out

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I've been leaving an intermittent catheter in all night for about 15 years. I tape it to my dick and hook it up to an overnight bedside drainage bag. I use a Dale catheter strap to secure the drainage bag tubing to my thigh. I drink about 20-30oz. of water throughout the night and usually have 1000-1500cc of urine in the bag in the morning. Works great.
    hi smokey. spotted your thread here looking for someone who was using an intermittent cath all night. can you tell me why you don't use a foley instead so you don't have to tape it up? wondering if you ever experienced bladder spasms as a result of the cath? thank you for your contribution to this thread. very very helpful.

  3. #13
    i forgot to ask. do you ever wash and reuse your caths? i have read where people do it successfully without getting uti's.

  4. #14
    Senior Member smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    2,168
    Quote Originally Posted by tchimbasta View Post
    hi smokey. spotted your thread here looking for someone who was using an intermittent cath all night. can you tell me why you don't use a foley instead so you don't have to tape it up? wondering if you ever experienced bladder spasms as a result of the cath? thank you for your contribution to this thread. very very helpful.
    I just use a regular latex catheter because it is cheaper and I believe a Foley catheter with a balloon might be more irritating to my bladder. Plus it would be a pain to inflate and deflate the balloon every night and every morning. I always use a new soft, latex and sterile intermittent catheter every night.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by tchimbasta View Post
    i forgot to ask. do you ever wash and reuse your caths? i have read where people do it successfully without getting uti's.
    Due to a Medicare change a few years ago in the United States, insurance companies began paying for up to 200 intermittent catheters a month (that is about 6 catheters a day...30 day month). Until then, most of us reused catheters for our clean intermittent catheter programs. The recommendation then was to wash the catheter with hot water and soap, rinse with hot water, and place on a clean paper towel to air dry until the next use. That is the only method I ever used because I had a supra pubic catheter placed before that Medicare/insurance company change. I don't have a basis for comparison if I would have gotten fewer urinary tract infections using a new catheter each time. Studies must have proved that catheter reuse was contributing to frequent and recurrent infections.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I just use a regular latex catheter because it is cheaper and I believe a Foley catheter with a balloon might be more irritating to my bladder. Plus it would be a pain to inflate and deflate the balloon every night and every morning. I always use a new soft, latex and sterile intermittent catheter every night.
    i have only been provided with the soft plastic coloplast brand catheter- both 14 and 16 with a stripe and a coude tip. have you ever overnighted with one of those? sometimes i simply cannot get the cath in which makes me really panicky. then for no particular reason it seems to go in later.

  7. #17
    Senior Member smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    2,168
    No I never tried the soft plastic catheters made by Coloplast. It might be fine, I just haven't tried that.

  8. #18
    hi nurse,

    am wanting to use an intermittent at night like smokey but have only the 14 coloplast coude tip of soft clear plastic. worried that the lube will dry out. i have heard mention of a silicon lube here. i have been advised to use only water based lube. can u advise.

    i want to go the intermittent route because the balloon from the foley has triggered bladder spasms. i get full during the night and cannot go back to sleep and my quality of life goes to shit. the part i loved about the foley was not getting up. i can get any cath you recommend on the net and will gladly self pay for a full nights sleep. thank you for your time and service here.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by tchimbasta View Post
    hi nurse,

    am wanting to use an intermittent at night like smokey but have only the 14 coloplast coude tip of soft clear plastic. worried that the lube will dry out. i have heard mention of a silicon lube here. i have been advised to use only water based lube. can u advise.

    i want to go the intermittent route because the balloon from the foley has triggered bladder spasms. i get full during the night and cannot go back to sleep and my quality of life goes to shit. the part i loved about the foley was not getting up. i can get any cath you recommend on the net and will gladly self pay for a full nights sleep. thank you for your time and service here.
    There have been some reports on this forum of indwelling urethral catheters getting stuck. It may very well be from the lubricant drying out. It is best to use a water based lubricant. The label should tell you about the lubricants solubility.

    Are you taking any anticholinergic medications (oxybutynin for instance) to help stop bladder spasms? There is a foley catheter that may be more comfortable and cause fewer. It is generally recommended for supra pubic use, but could also be used for ureathral catheterization. It is called a Duette by Poiesis Medical. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/ However, it seems to me it would get quite expensive to use a new foley catheter every night. I'd be reluctant to reuse them.

Similar Threads

  1. For intermittent catheter users....
    By ChopperChick in forum Care
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 11:20 PM
  2. Intermittent Catheter Insertion Kit
    By mlkost in forum Equipment & Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM
  4. Intermittent catheter kit?!! help!
    By drew82586 in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 08:20 PM
  5. For anyone using a intermittent catheter
    By jayslx1 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2008, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •