Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swimming. Help me figure out how to do it!

I swim about a mile a couple of times a week.

For getting in and out of my chair, I park my wheelchair by the steps. If I'm at my normal pool, I grab a couple of kick boards and aim for those getting out of the chair and then again when getting out of the pool. These are thick and provide protection on my butt. If I'm at a hotel pool, I just use towels. I've practiced getting in and out of my chair enough so that it's not an issue.

When swimming, I usually use a snorkel, it just makes it a bit easier. I also made something to hold my legs together and provide a bit of flotation. I took a noodle and cut two 4 - 6 inch pieces. I then ran a stretchy shoelace between them. I put that around my legs just above my knees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by beachtodisney View Post
    I swim about a mile a couple of times a week.

For getting in and out of my chair, I park my wheelchair by the steps. If I'm at my normal pool, I grab a couple of kick boards and aim for those getting out of the chair and then again when getting out of the pool. These are thick and provide protection on my butt. If I'm at a hotel pool, I just use towels. I've practiced getting in and out of my chair enough so that it's not an issue.

When swimming, I usually use a snorkel, it just makes it a bit easier. I also made something to hold my legs together and provide a bit of flotation. I took a noodle and cut two 4 - 6 inch pieces. I then ran a stretchy shoelace between them. I put that around my legs just above my knees.
    I have now been swimming once and plan to go back on Thursday. I just wore a pair of swim sock type of things in addition to my suit and goggles. Probably need something with more ankle protection as I think I'm scraping up my lateral malleolus on the wall when resting to adjust my goggles and whatnot. Otherwise it was pretty okay.

Now I just have to figure out an acceptable type of stroke so I don't feel like I'm flopping around (very annoying as a former swim instructor and lifeguard who used to be tortured by being forced to watch silly old people swim hundreds of miles a day with terrible technique).

I need to rig up something like your noodle deal. Might use the elastic from an old leg bag and secure it right above the knees to try to keep them together and as straight as is feasible.

I don't like the idea of a snorkel (never used one, except for a few times as a kid to blow snorkels full of water at girls). Elementary backstroke was the easiest for me. The front crawl and backstroke were painfully awkward what with the legs whipping round about wherever they wanted preventing me from getting a good shoulder rotation going. I'm not even gonna try anything butterfly like. I did something like a modified breaststroke with a long pull down to my thighs and then a short "normal" pull to get a breath of air, but it was hard to consistently get up out of the water.

Anybody got ideas on some new cripplestroke I might not have seen in my AB life?

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/swi...at-side-stroke

Years ago I used to do some triathlons with a buddy of mine who was a SEAL. If you watch the side stroke in the video (imagine no leg kick obviously), the left hand is underneath, stretch and pull with hand paddled the best you can. Being that I don't have any core muscles other than my lats to keep stable, when I do this stroke and I'm in the pull, I'll slightly move my left hand in a motion that exerts force to the left and down. Moving it to the left a little bit seems to give me enough rotation to breathe (on my right side). While it is less efficient than not just pulling straight down, I do like to breathe.