Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camper?

Camper?

So I've been looking and watching different trailers, RVs and campers go by for a while. Regardless of the ultimate size, whether it's just a pop up or a full on trailer, the base issue is always door width. I'm 27-28" wide. Because of the natural design motivation to fit as much as possible in the smallest space the door openings almost always have something right up against the jam making them un-modifiable. Anyone have any base advice or knowledge of models that have either a door to fit my width requirements or space to widen without too much destruction? N
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Not an issue with a toy hauler.

(KLD)

We had a Playmor specifically made to be accessible but they dropped their accessible model. A company in Pennsylvania, I believe Sunliner, made a very nice conversion but they went out of business in the recession. I wonder if googling wheelchair accessible travel trailers might reveal other companies doing conversions. You also might consider getting a used diesel transportation van (large size w lift) and finding a mobility conversion company willing to make it into a camper. This would be costly but those diesels run forever. Winnebago does custom conversions of RV's.

I've always been concerned that after you get through the door, can you move with any amount of ease. They all seem narrow and getting from point A to point B is equally difficult.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

there are a few trailers harborveiw by bridgeport I have the 33' it has a lift roll under sink and roll in shower but it is heavy 10500 pounds there is also a company called freedomtraveler that has a built in ramp it has all the roll under stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eds View Post
    there is also a company called freedomtraveler that has a built in ramp it has all the roll under stuff.
    Freedom Traveler has been out of business for at least 3 years.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by bigtop1 View Post
    I've always been concerned that after you get through the door, can you move with any amount of ease. They all seem narrow and getting from point A to point B is equally difficult.
    My wife and I are both chair users. We eliminated the dinette table that converted to a bed so we would have one point in the trailer where we could pass each other.

Thanks for the response, I have some stuff to look through. The toy haulers look good but the ramp angle and required space to effectively drop the ramp are an issue. Just for the sake of narrowing down the options, does anyone know of actual models or even styles that will tend too have the larger door opening?
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

Even more than door openings, which probably could be enlarged, my main concern is the bathroom. I mean if I have to use the campgrounds bathroom then I'll just bring a tent.