Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative catheter extension

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Speaking of catheter wrappers, that's what I use as an extension. Was forced to improvise one time and found it is much more convenient than carrying around an extra (quickly dirty) extension tube when i'm out and about.

What I do is open the side of the catheter with the hub about an inch or two. Then leave the rest of the cover intact, but open the wrapper at the business end just enough to sneak the tip of the catheter through. If done correctly the hub on the catheter which is much wider than the tip won't pull through the small opening and the wrapper has become a tube extending the catheter well long enough to get to a toilet. Even if not done perfectly, all you have to do is grip the catheter by the hub through the wrapper and it won't fall apart on you.After practicing for the past thousand catheters or so, I feel it's easier than using an extension tube and it is certainly much cleaner, since you get a new extension tube every time.
    I have several para friends who use this trick. The Coloplast Speedcath foil wrapper is perfect for this. I would if I had the finger function, but asking my C7 fingers to open the not-intended-to-be-opened end of the package and extend the used-to-be-sterile catheter is about as realistic as asking me to walk. It's a great method, however, for those who can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Seems the wrapper method would require finger/glove contact with the catheter tip, no?
    Nope. I probably did a poor job of explaining, but you don't want a video of how I do it (and even if you do I'm not going to send it)

Basically I open the hub end of the catheter wide, but leave the catheter where it is. Then with the catheter still in it's original position I peel back the front of the catheter where the tip is in the same manner as the hub side (where you are "supposed" to open it), still with the catheter in the original position inside the wrapper which is now open on both ends. I advance the catheter by pushing the hub from the back.... this is getting too complicated, I will post some pictures after all (I'll try to keep them G rated).

1. Start with catheter like this (might not work with all brands depending on packaging

2. Open the hub end, I usually peel back an inch or so like this

3. Open the tip end of the wrapper, but just a tiny bit (opening this too wide isn't necessarily a problem, but if you just barely open it the hub won't be able to pull through so it will be kind of locked together into one continuous tube)

It didn't show up great, but hopefully you get the idea. Still haven't touched or moved the catheter at all.

4. Now you have the wrapper/tube open on both ends, but the catheter still fully enclosed in it. I advance the catheter with my thumb, pushing on the hub. Depending on how small the opening at the tip end is you may need to guide it with your other hand, but this can still be accomplished by manipulating the catheter tip through the wrapper so it is still only touching the sterile inside of the wrapper. You get something that looks like this.

At this point depending on my current trade off of time vs cleanliness I may touch the catheter, but I usually choose to not touch the catheter (and if my bladder isn't acting like a SOB I usually don't need to touch the catheter until it has been removed).

Basically, after lubing the catheter, you can insert it while gripping it through the wrapper. If you've got a lot of resistance it can be a bit tricky to advance the catheter while only touching the part still protected by the wrapper, but it can definitely be done. Sorry, no pictures of this part (where it's actually in the penis). But you basically use the wrapper a bit like a scrunchy to move it deeper and deeper while still only touching the wrapper.

Eventually you end up with something like this:

Obviously with much of the business end of that lovely silicone tube shoved up inside you. If done properly it will take a bit of force to pull the hub through the wrapper tube you've made (which is NOT what you want to do), but I usually hold it at that junction anyway. Chuck the wrapper end over the edge of the toilet and let it drain.

When done the easiest thing is to actually touch the catheter to pull it out (but cleanliness doesn't matter any more at this point), but in theory you could use your thumb to pull the hub back inside of the wrapper if you were really a germophobe.

When the catheter is back inside the packaging you now are only touching the outside of the wrapper, which at worst has touched the edge of a public toilet bowl, so it's all a relatively clean package and you can ball up the whole deal and dispose of it discreetly (if you're embarassed about leaving evidence of your urinary dysfunction around your coworkers like I am).

All in all it's a darn nice system if I do say so myself, which I hereby humbly dub "the Funk method of intermittent catheterization" to live on in glory and infamy for all time. Copyright 2017.

Holy Spit Batman!

I just tried the wrapper method at home and damned if it didn't work just fine. Pulled to grab side of the cath out a bit, opened up the tip end, drained the water then proceeded as normal but with the wrapper cinched around the plastic pieced at the top.

It's crazy but this made my day.
    Pleased that you found something useful in my ramblings.

However, please see above. This is not the "wrapper method". This is the "Funk Method" and I'd appreciate it if you'd henceforth refer to it as such

To hijack this thread even further, we need a collection of Instructables style instructions for how people do everyday stuff like cath or poop or drive or make the bed (obviously from my pictures I don't do that last one). There's a thousand and one ways to do something and it would be nice to have multiple examples so you can figure out what works best for you. It's been almost a decade since I was in rehab and I know there are more efficient ways I could be doing some things.

If I hadn't suddenly found myself out on the town with a bladder full of beer and without my usually nasty grimy extension tube I never would have thought of the Funk Method which means there are probably dozens of things I could be doing more easily/efficiently/cleanly but it's not the kind of thing you might be comfortable chatting with your SCI buddy about IRL over pizza and wings.

On the Care Cure Community forum there are so many threads and posts that address a multitude of problems and how any one person has worked through or solved them, HOWEVER, this forum's search feature is woefully inadequate and unless you just luck out, searching here won't get you where you would like or need to go.

I've been on this site since 2005 and I have near photographic memory of stuff I read...that said, I struggle greatly to find stuff on Care Cure Community that I know is here.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Pleased that you found something useful in my ramblings.

However, please see above. This is not the "wrapper method". This is the "Funk Method" and I'd appreciate it if you'd henceforth refer to it as such
    Hopefully no royalties involved... ;-)
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

I've tried the extension thing before but always felt the extra handling was introducing too much risk for contamination, and the wrapper extension trick looks to require too much dexterity for a C6 like myself. I've always used an old Gatorade bottle I can easily just cath into, dump, rinse, and seal tight in my bag cause they have nice caps. I attach a handle to the bottle and it stays in place between my legs when cathing. It's fast and I can easily handle the dexterity required and there's minimal handling of the cath and things stay clean.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    On the Care Cure Community forum there are so many threads and posts that address a multitude of problems and how any one person has worked through or solved them, HOWEVER, this forum's search feature is woefully inadequate and unless you just luck out, searching here won't get you where you would like or need to go.

I've been on this site since 2005 and I have near photographic memory of stuff I read...that said, I struggle greatly to find stuff on Care Cure Community that I know is here.
    Try putting this in a Google search: site:sci.rutgers.edu/forum quad cath

Replace quad cath with whatever you want to search. Works on any forum

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I've always used an old Gatorade bottle I can easily just cath into, dump, rinse, and seal tight in my bag cause they have nice caps. I attach a handle to the bottle and it stays in place between my legs when cathing. It's fast and I can easily handle the dexterity required and there's minimal handling of the cath and things stay clean.
    When I am out away from home, this is my method too and works for me.
    Mine is a bog standard flat sided plastic bottle with sealing lid; no product endorsement
    'Piss in a bottle' allows me to check the quality and sniff the aroma (if I wish as it helps with monitoring for the potential UTI. If I do detect then the garden Aloe plantation gets raided asap.
    After, the catheter tube is flushed clean and placed in the bottle for retrieval and a further clean when I return home. I find it easier to feed the tube into the bottle cap end (hub?) first as it makes retrieval easier.
    Stored in a ziplock, it sits in my carry bag well
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-09-2017 at 06:14 AM.

Hopefully no royalties involved... ;-)
    I feel like we all have to pay enough to take a piss at this point. No need to add any extra cost on top.