Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative catheter extension

Alternative catheter extension

I've been using straight catheters for several years and one of the things I'm not satisfied with is the commercially available extensions. The ones I've used have all been made out of vinyl tubing which is packaged and sold in pretty tight coils. The tubing remembers that shape and wants to spring back into that shape. I too often have had the extension jump out of the toilet as it springs back. So I made an extension out of an old catheter. I snipped the end off to get rid of this side outlets. Then I got a short length of 1/4 inch vinyl tubing to join my extension with the fresh catheter that I will be using in me. The quarter inch tubing can be whatever length you want above about two inches. Eight inches works out about right for me. Of course the used catheters are free and the vinyl tubing is inexpensive. I think I paid less than $3 for 25 feet of it, certainly a lifetime supply. The system works great. It's much easier to control and a used catheter rapper makes a great storage container.

It's much easier to control and a used catheter rapper makes a great storage container.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

(KLD)

Speaking of catheter wrappers, that's what I use as an extension. Was forced to improvise one time and found it is much more convenient than carrying around an extra (quickly dirty) extension tube when i'm out and about.

What I do is open the side of the catheter with the hub about an inch or two. Then leave the rest of the cover intact, but open the wrapper at the business end just enough to sneak the tip of the catheter through. If done correctly the hub on the catheter which is much wider than the tip won't pull through the small opening and the wrapper has become a tube extending the catheter well long enough to get to a toilet. Even if not done perfectly, all you have to do is grip the catheter by the hub through the wrapper and it won't fall apart on you.

After practicing for the past thousand catheters or so, I feel it's easier than using an extension tube and it is certainly much cleaner, since you get a new extension tube every time.

Seems the wrapper method would require finger/glove contact with the catheter tip, no?
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Is it possible to get a dual Rx for closed system caths and regular types? I use a small fanny pack stuffed with closed system units for outside the house, and regular ones for home. Much neater and convenient IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist!

(KLD)
    Can we get a WHOOP WHOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Is it possible to get a dual Rx for closed system caths and regular types? I use a small fanny pack stuffed with closed system units for outside the house, and regular ones for home. Much neater and convenient IMO.
    Same here. My under seat bag has 3-4 of those cylindrical Speedy Caths for use on the go but I use regular hydrophilic Caths at home. Still the extension idea is nice as then there's no bag to dump out. Gotta love public bathrooms where the trash cans are outside the bathroom like Costco. Yeah that'd be my catheter folks.

I use UroCare White Rubber Drainage Tubing. It's a soft, flexible, foldable rubber tube. You can order them in short (18in) and long (10ft) lengths. I buy the long ones and cut it to length. It's been more difficult to find recently and it's a bit expensive, but well worth it.

Instead of buying all this medical crap. Go to a car parts store and get vacuum line and a connector. Cheap, flexible and stays that way. I get the tubing from the junk yard when I go, even a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Speaking of catheter wrappers, that's what I use as an extension. Was forced to improvise one time and found it is much more convenient than carrying around an extra (quickly dirty) extension tube when i'm out and about.

What I do is open the side of the catheter with the hub about an inch or two. Then leave the rest of the cover intact, but open the wrapper at the business end just enough to sneak the tip of the catheter through. If done correctly the hub on the catheter which is much wider than the tip won't pull through the small opening and the wrapper has become a tube extending the catheter well long enough to get to a toilet. Even if not done perfectly, all you have to do is grip the catheter by the hub through the wrapper and it won't fall apart on you.

After practicing for the past thousand catheters or so, I feel it's easier than using an extension tube and it is certainly much cleaner, since you get a new extension tube every time.

Holy Spit Batman!

I just tried the wrapper method at home and damned if it didn't work just fine. Pulled to grab side of the cath out a bit, opened up the tip end, drained the water then proceeded as normal but with the wrapper cinched around the plastic pieced at the top.

It's crazy but this made my day.