Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something lurking..

Something lurking..

Ever been in such a positive happy place in life that you start to expect something bad to happen? Like somethings there in shadows waiting to take it away. I cant seem to seem to shake lately. I'm happy,healthy and content..great wife,great,great life no complaints! But I cant shake the ''whats lurking'' to the point I keeps me up at night.

I can come punch you in the throat if you think that will be shadowy enough to take away the dread. But in the mean time, my suggestion would be to enjoy things as they are now.

Life is full of horrible, terrible, inhuman things just waiting to happen. And inevitably they will happen. To all of us.... If they aren't currently happening to you at this very moment it seems like an appropriate time for a celebration.

LOL! I like it.

Must be Trump fever from afar!

How ironic that I just learned this word today!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aversion_to_happiness

Cherophobia.

Aversion to happiness, also called cherophobia or fear of happiness, is an attitude towards happiness in which individuals may deliberately avoid experiences that invoke positive emotions or happiness.
    One of several reasons that aversion to happiness may develop is the belief that when one becomes happy, a negative event will soon occur that will taint their happiness, as if that individual is being punished for satisfaction. This belief is thought to be more prevalent in non-Western cultures. In Western cultures, such as American culture, "it is almost taken for granted that happiness is one of the most important values guiding people’s lives." Western cultures are more driven by an urge to maximize happiness and minimize sadness. Failing to appear happy is often a cause for concern. Its value is echoed through Western positive psychology and research on subjective well-being.

Good to see you post Shaun and hope everything continues to be good! Relax and enjoy the ride!
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Is it inevitable, maybe, maybe not. It is a tough mind set to power through.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Is it inevitable, maybe, maybe not. It is a tough mind set to power through.
    So true. The same kind of dread haunts me, Shaun. With MS, you never know what will happen from moment-to-moment. Of course, that is the human condition, whether we're able-bodied or not (though the able-bodied seldom have to think about such things for very long). As gjnl says, it's tough to power through! I haven't found anything external - meds, counseling, diversions, etc. - that relieve the anxiety on a longterm basis. I try to embrace the good times ("good" meaning status quo), even though I realize that anything - literally - can intervene. What a razor's edge!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Ever been in such a positive happy place in life that you start to expect something bad to happen? Like somethings there in shadows waiting to take it away. I cant seem to seem to shake lately. I'm happy,healthy and content..great wife,great,great life no complaints! But I cant shake the ''whats lurking'' to the point I keeps me up at night.
    I have a question. What makes you think you deserve to be happy?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    I don't read into "Shaun's" comments "deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Don't we all deserve to be happy?

(answers question with a question cause I'm just not that deep)