Thread: New Friends...

Thumbs up New Friends...

Hi all,
    I am Brian, 41 yrs young, from the North East of England. I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne with my wife and family. I am an incomplete L5/S1. I had a fusion, metal work and nerve decompression operation done in 2008, which did improve things for a while. Unfortunately this has not lasted and I now have atrophy in my leg and foot drop. I am using a stick constantly now and my wheelchair if going more than a few meters. I am looking to meet others who have similar mobility problems, who could give advice and ideas on how to cope / deal with problems easier.
    I would like to make new friends and start getting a social life again, and it don't just have to be to the pub. I will give anything a try from basketball to bowls, I would really like to start a new hobby, but not really sure what sort of things I would / could do.

Thank you all for reading..
    Last edited by brian1975; 03-06-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: adding information

Hello brian1975. I hail from the Detroit, Michigan area of the US. Perhaps you can tell us a little about yourself and your injury. There are a lot of folks here and, I'm sure some of them will have something in common with you.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

I'm originally from Chester-le-Street so not far from Newcastle but now in Lakes. Rarely come back to Newcastle thanks to my SCI, only been to Metro Centre once in 4 years. Keep thinking that it might be better to move back as their are so many more disabled friendly places but would miss getting out on the fells with my off road wheelchair. Good luck finding some new friends.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Welcome Brian, and what Bigtop1 said ....

new wheelchair user,(full-time).

I am a part-time wheelchair user, who now needs to use the chair full-time.
    Looking to meet others with similar difficulties..

Brian, welcome to CareCure. These CareCure geographic "chapter" forums are little used. Suggest you post in the Life forum instead.

(KLD)

Hi Brian,

Can I suggest you contact SIA https://www.spinal.co.uk/ this is an organisation controlled and run by people with SCI and is membership based, so they may be able to alert you to any member activities in your area. (They also have a useful newsletter).

Another option is to make contact with the Golden Jubilee Spinal Cord Injury Centre located in the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough as they might know of local networks.

Good luck

Thank you, I will try these people / places.

Thumbs up Friends.

Hi all,
    I am Brian, 41 yrs young, from the North East of England. I live in Newcastle Upon Tyne with my wife and family. I am an incomplete L5/S1. I had a fusion, metal work and nerve decompression operation done in 2008, which did improve things for a while. Unfortunately this has not lasted and I now have atrophy in my leg and foot drop. I am using a stick constantly now and my wheelchair if going more than a few meters. I am looking to meet others who have similar mobility problems, who could give advice and ideas on how to cope / deal with problems easier.
    I would like to make new friends and start getting a social life again, and it don't just have to be to the pub. I will give anything a try from basketball to bowls, I would really like to start a new hobby, but not really sure what sort of things I would / could do.

Thank you all for reading..