Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Mobility SmartDrive MX2+

Max Mobility SmartDrive MX2+

I've only had it for a few days and I've been somewhat stuck inside due to snow and ice so my info is a little limited at this point. Anyway, this is a powerful little device. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how fast it propels your wheelchair. As such, you'll have to be careful both inside and outside. I have already smacked into a wall at home and almost took out a family of three at the supermarket.

With the MX2+ model you will be able to use either the MX1, MX2 or MX2+ modes. The wristband is a little confusing to navigate and difficult to press the buttons. This sets the time (the watch sucks), displays the number of pushes that day, shows the battery level of both the wristband (Push Tracker) and the SmartDrive motor, it also displays your coasting time and distance you've traveled that day. I just got the app on my iPhone last night but I'm having trouble pairing the app to the wristband. Using the wristband, you can adjust the maximum speed of the SmartDrive, adjust the acceleration and also adjust the "Tap Sensitivity" so you have to tap hard (or softly) to engage or disengage the unit. I like that feature so the device won't misinterpret hand motions and start or stop unexpectedly. However, it DID shut off on me about 5 or 6 times in a large, flat "big box store". I was just cruising along with my hand on my lap and it kept stopping. That kind of sucked. I shut it off going downhill....it would go too fast for me but I'm new at it also. The unit did seem to lurch or jerk forward a few times which felt a little weird. Sometimes I could hear the motor groaning and sometimes it purred like a kitten. The wristband charges up in 1.5 hours and the SmartDrive needs 3 hours to fully charge. I was told if the wristband is put on "Sleepmode" (ZZZZzzzz)it will preserve the battery.

Obviously I need more time to play and adjust all the features more. I found this Australian video which is very helpful and can show you more. Hope others get set up with the MX2+ soon and can give me more pointers. Check out the video tutorials on the link below. Frankly, it is more helpful than the crappy information that came with the unit.

http://www.seatingdynamics.com.au/21...Drive_MX2.aspx

I am trying now with medicare the drs here in florida where I am at are horrid has taken a month for them to do a letter of neccessay of which I supplied a guideline. I demo 1 and liked it

did you get ins medicare or out of pocket if I can ask tks its beautiful here in fl little windy though

VJLS, Medicare does not cover it....or at least not for me. One more word of caution. Just tonight after I wrote the initial comment I was brushing my teeth while the SmartDrive was on and the wristband on also Just the motion of my arm and hand that had the wristband attached to it activated the SmartDrive device and I lurched forward about 6 inches into the wall. At least I wasn't going far or fast but it surprised the shit out of me.

The SmartDrive is amazing. After a full day of helping me around it pushed me from the Ferry Building in SF up to Union Square. Granted that is only about a mile, but it is a really steep climb up most of the way. The device is incredible.,

Thank you for the review Smokey! I'm waiting (not so patiently) for everything to go through. When I requested a MX2+ from my DME he said, there's a new version?! No one tells us anything!
    Without this community I wouldn't have been in the loop!

SmartDrive Questions

SmartDrive Questions:

Can the wheelchair tire size be changed without modification to the drive unit? Say from 24" to 25" or 26"?
    Will it climb a steel foldout van ramp...say 2:12 pitch?
    How is traction on a wet metal ramp?
    Will it stop and hold the chair steady in the middle of an incline and then able to restart uphill? Again use 2:12 as the incline angle.

Thxs
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    SmartDrive Questions:

Can the wheelchair tire size be changed without modification to the drive unit? Say from 24" to 25" or 26"?
    Will it climb a steel foldout van ramp...say 2:12 pitch?
    How is traction on a wet metal ramp?
    Will it stop and hold the chair steady in the middle of an incline and then able to restart uphill? Again use 2:12 as the incline angle.

Thxs
    1. The manual (MX2+) lists different brackets for different wheel size. So you may need to switch brackets if switch from 24" to "25" or "26".

2. I can use SmartDrive to get in a minivan with infloor ramp without kneel. Infloor ramps are normally shorter than foldout. So you should be able to climb up the ramp.

The hard part is to stop SmartDrive in time as soon as you are in the van. Otherwise it will continue to push and hit the other side of the van. If that happens, SmartDrive will stop, ungraceflly. The mounting braket may get of out alignment. You'll need to use the levelor to align the bracket.

The other problem is - if your chair has very short wheelbase and the ramp is steep - when the ramp transitions into the van, the angle changes too much. SmartDrive sometimes stops pushing before I get into the van. When that happens, the wheelchair will roll backward downhill. Very scary. If you don't steer the chair straight down, you fall out of the ramp. This should not happen if you have proper sized wheelbase or kneeled foldout ramp.

3. SmartDrive does not help much going downhill. It gives slight resistance initially. But don't count on it. If you stop in the middle of an incine, it will not steady your chair. You need to hold the chair yourself, then initiate to start SmartDrive yourself.

"it DID shut off on me about 5 or 6 times in a large, flat "big box store"."

I had similar experience with my MX2+ going on sidewalk with bumpy surface. I called MaxMobility and was told that a new firmware should fix that problem. You can get the new firmware from the PushTracker app on your iPhone.

In general I like MX2+ much better than MX2. The start/stop/hold commands are easier and much more distinct. But, as with any new model, there may be a few bugs that need to be flushed out.

Quote Originally Posted by gototo View Post
    "it DID shut off on me about 5 or 6 times in a large, flat "big box store"."

I had similar experience with my MX2+ going on sidewalk with bumpy surface. I called MaxMobility and was told that a new firmware should fix that problem. You can get the new firmware from the PushTracker app on your iPhone.

In general I like MX2+ much better than MX2. The start/stop/hold commands are easier and much more distinct. But, as with any new model, there may be a few bugs that need to be flushed out.
    I'm having the same issues, but I can't figure out how to upgrade the firmware on the app. How did you do it?

My son LOVES his Smart Drive! It is saving his shoulders!