View Poll Results: Would you like to see Permobil bring back the Lowrider?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 80.00%
  • Yes, I had a Lowrider before.

1 20.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Poll Vote For A Wheelchair

Poll Vote For A Wheelchair

For years Permobil made a C500 and a C500 Lowrider. The Lowrider would do everything the regular C500 would but the seat height was lower for taller people (over 6ft) to be able to ride/drive in a minivan. With the introduction of the F series replacing the C series, the Lowrider option was dropped. For us that now use a F series this has caused an issue in our vans as we now sit too tall so our vision out of the windshield is limited, legs rub against the hand control rods and entering/exiting head clearance are just a few examples. I talked to my vendor about the issues and he suggested I start a petition to send to Permobil. How many others have this issue with any brand chair but would like to see the option for a lower seating height but still keep the seat elevator? The ground clearance is the same, just the seat height is lower.
    John-B

I am not familiar with this particular chair but wish to weigh in as two HUGE important metrics for any wheelchair user over 6ft is:
    1) end knee height (Hard getting under tables, desks ect.)
    2) Ground clearance (ground to bottom of chair underside) to accommodate EZ-LOCK type tiedown pin for those of us that drive from our chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by 490 View Post
    For years Permobil made a C500 and a C500 Lowrider. The Lowrider would do everything the regular C500 would but the seat height was lower for taller people (over 6ft) to be able to ride/drive in a minivan. With the introduction of the F series replacing the C series, the Lowrider option was dropped. For us that now use a F series this has caused an issue in our vans as we now sit too tall so our vision out of the windshield is limited, legs rub against the hand control rods and entering/exiting head clearance are just a few examples. I talked to my vendor about the issues and he suggested I start a petition to send to Permobil. How many others have this issue with any brand chair but would like to see the option for a lower seating height but still keep the seat elevator? The ground clearance is the same, just the seat height is lower.
    Whether it is this thread or the original thread you started with a poll, I don't think there is enough of a population on this forum that are familiar with the "Permobil lowrider." Recently, I've gone through the process of getting a new Permobil chair, and it was really difficult to make any one, physical or occupational therapist and/or durable medical equipment supplier understand the problems and needs of tall people who need power chairs. Why wheelchair manufacturers, therapists, and suppiers don't understand that "one size doesn't fit all" is beyond me. But, that mind set is what we tall individuals deal with all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Whether it is this thread or the original thread you started with a poll, I don't think there is enough of a population on this forum that are familiar with the "Permobil lowrider." Recently, I've gone through the process of getting a new Permobil chair, and it was really difficult to make any one, physical or occupational therapist and/or durable medical equipment supplier understand the problems and needs of tall people who need power chairs. Why wheelchair manufacturers, therapists, and suppiers don't understand that "one size doesn't fit all" is beyond me. But, that mind set is what we tall individuals deal with all of the time.
    I was told once that being tall is a disadvantage in the wheelchair world.
    John-B

Quote Originally Posted by 490 View Post
    I was told once that being tall is a disadvantage in the wheelchair world.
    I'd say that is about right.

From my first manual chair to my current power chair and every one in between, getting a seating height that allows clearance under tables,desks, and ADA sinks and a footrest hanger length that gives the footrest clearance without having about a 60?-65? knee bend has been a real struggle. Always envied others who could have 90? hangers.