Thread: Another custom carbon fiber wheelchair

Another custom carbon fiber wheelchair

This chair shares the same basic frame design as ones I've posted in the past and uses a unique single piece, angle adjustable composite backrest. This chair is a 16Wx16L. 1.5" fixed CG, 2" seat dump, 15" backrest height. Froglegs suspension forks with 4" casters. 25" rear wheel with 3 degree camber. Solid surface cushion base and footplate. 2.75lb. frame weight, 10.75lb. transfer weight. The casters/forks used represent 25% of that number.

All together a pretty sharp piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Here are some of the CAD models used in the design of this chair.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

wow, home run
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    That's very cool. Transfer weight is the same as my magnesium/aluminum chair though. What benefits do you see to using an approach like this over something more conventional. Where does the other 50% of the weight come from? 25% of the weight is frame, another 25% for fork assembly and casters. Do you use them or just make them?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

The frame is ~25%, the casters/forks are ~25%, the rest is the seatpan, backrest, footrest assembly, calf strap, and fasteners. Main benefits are frame rigidity, higher strength for the weight, much lower potential for fatigue failures, and certain components benefit from the low thermal conductivity of the composite materials.

I've been using them for years with virtually no maintenance and zero failures. Everyday, tennis and racing chairs. They're not for everyone, but those who have one will probably tell you they'd never want to go back.

This is really cool. Did you make it yourself? Is it some kind of concept chair that you plan on producing?