Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tilite solid side guards with folding backrest ?

Tilite solid side guards with folding backrest ?

I'm planning on getting a tilite zr in the next couple of months. I want solid side guards that are bolted to/or are part of the frame along with a folding backrest. I haven't seen this combo done but a tilite rep told me they do it. Does anybody have pictures?
    I currently have the removable side guards but I taped them on so they aren't rattling and falling out all the time.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

How old is your current chair? The last ZR with a folding back I did was in 2008 and it has removable sideguards but you can tighten 2 screws on them that locks them in place. They can't rattle or fall out.

Quote Originally Posted by pacrossbow View Post
    How old is your current chair? The last ZR with a folding back I did was in 2008 and it has removable sideguards but you can tighten 2 screws on them that locks them in place. They can't rattle or fall out.
    Its a tilite aero z series 2 from 2011
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

What's the difference between a solid sideguard and a removable one? Like pacrossbow I just tightened the hell out of the bolts on my removable sideguards and they aren't going anywhere (and certainly aren't rattling).

My 2GX has removable sideguards. The damn things were loose as when I trialed it out then when I collected it a day later locked up tight and solid. Maybe he thought that he was doing me a favour.
    Anyway they loosened up again within a short time so a bit of loctite and judicious adjustment of the fastenings for ease of removal and they stay put with only the odd occasion when they require another treatment with loctite.
    Those sideguards take a lot of side load and are holding up well. I am not keen on using the Loctite super retainer version.
    I like them, they work ok for me and either side can be removed without fuss for safer transfers.
    IMO while the spring loaded hold plate is a good idea on paper it is crap in application.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 03-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    I like them, they work ok for me and either side can be removed without fuss for safer transfers
    I'm old school but I like removable and don't have any problems with them. I can transfer over them without much problem and occasionally do it an as an oversight but 99% of the time I want sidegaurds off to prevent scraping while transferring.

I pulled off the edging and cut them back so they are a little below the apex of the tire tread, then replaced the edging..

Now they don't affect transfers and still do 90% of their "keep me clean" function, especially if I am mindful with loose clothing.

PS: remembering, I also had to elongate the slots so they sat lower. And, they are gripped very hard although I can pull them out if necessary.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    I pulled off the edging and cut them back so they are a little below the apex of the tire tread, then replaced the edging..

Now they don't affect transfers and still do 90% of their "keep me clean" function, especially if I am mindful with loose clothing.

PS: remembering, I also had to elongate the slots so they sat lower. And, they are gripped very hard although I can pull them out if necessary.
    How hard was it to pull off the edging and trim them? (I'm assuming you're talking about TiLite sideguards).

I like the height of mine, but I got the large ones and they extend further forward that I would prefer, so I'd like to shorten them, but I have access to very few tools.

Here's a picture of my current chair side guards. On my next one I'd like to get rid of the ugly block that these side guards slide down into. I want it to be as clean and simply looking as possible. All of the tilite chairs I've seen with solid side guards also have rigid backs so the guards bolt to the side of the frame and back rest posts.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    tilite aero z s2

Blog Entries
    I have rigid side guards and a folding back. You can see how the sideguards have a relief cut to allow the backrest to fold down, but still completely shield the tire.

The opening doesnt cause any issues, it's mostly covered by the cushion, as you can see in this angle:

Last edited by Oddity; 03-02-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus