Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterilising Silicon Intermittent Catheter

Sterilising Silicon Intermittent Catheter

Hi,

I would like to know how to sterilise them.

A pharmacist recommended D-Germ.

Each 100ml contains:
    2.5ml chlorhexidine gluconate solution B.P. in 70ml v/v Propyl Alcohol

Does anyone have experience with this? I don't want to ruin my them as they are pretty expensive.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Medicare and most insurance companies provide up to 200 catheters per month.

That said, if you are uninsured or don't live in the US and don't have coverage, it is reasonable to think about reusing catheters. With standard clean intermittent catheterization (CIC) technique, just wash the catheter with hot water/soap wash and hot watrt rinse, then lay on a clean paper towel to dry until the next use. You won't be able to sterilize the catheters unless you use an autoclave, which is very expensive for an individual.

My son has used re-useable Cliny catheters for almost ten years now. For the first 9 years the catheter has been rinsed in water, then put in a bowl with a few cups of water, then put in the microwave for 5 minutes (and generally left in the microwave until the next use). He now uses a baby bottle steriliser instead of a microwave, as they are cheaper to replace, as our microwave ovens tend to rust over time due to the amount of water being boiled within.

The Cliny catheters come with a plastic casing. When travelling we will use the case, but then microwave the catheter before use as it isn't possible to guarantee that the inside of the case is completely clean (although we try our best to make sure that it is).

He does use single use catheters if we have no access to a microwave, but the Cliny catheters have worked well for him. I'm pretty sure that some of them have lasted for over a year before starting to look a bit old (but still functional).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Thanks, I use the soap and water route when I am at home, was just looking for a solution when I travel.

I'm not based in the US and I could only wish for 200 caths a month.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by 4quad View Post
    Thanks, I use the soap and water route when I am at home, was just looking for a solution when I travel.

I'm not based in the US and I could only wish for 200 caths a month.
    Do the same thing when you travel. Just wrap them in a paper towel and put in a pocket of a backpack or something, NOT a plastic/sealed bag. You will need to put the dirty ones in a separate place until you can get to a place to clean them.

Unless you are having recurrent or more than 3 UTI's a year, the clean technique using hot water and soap and air drying is recommended if your insurance company won't provide you with a sterile cath for each one. In the past the above and also 1/2 strength vinegar with water etc...have been used. So if you are doing that and minimal infections... please continue. We do not recommend microwaving because catheter may be damaged but if not problems continue.
    If you are a vet- it is a mandate from Congress that the VA provide a sterile cath for each cath. Also ziplock baggie good to make a to go pack with small packets of lube and betadine or soap/wipes. then just put used catheter in the baggie and toss in the trash.
    Even those with a sterile technique and totally sterile supplies get infections. Others can spit on the catheter for lube, drop on the floor and use and not wash their hands and they seldom get infections.... why? good immune system, biofilm in bladder? I don't know but we need to research those folks and get a vaccine made. So complex.
    Concentrated Cranberry extract or D- mannose helpful only for E. Coli infections.
    CWO
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Unless you are having recurrent or more than 3 UTI's a year, the clean technique using hot water and soap and air drying is recommended if your insurance company won't provide you with a sterile cath for each one. In the past the above and also 1/2 strength vinegar with water etc...have been used. So if you are doing that and minimal infections... please continue. We do not recommend microwaving because catheter may be damaged but if not problems continue.
    If you are a vet- it is a mandate from Congress that the VA provide a sterile cath for each cath. Also ziplock baggie good to make a to go pack with small packets of lube and betadine or soap/wipes. then just put used catheter in the baggie and toss in the trash.
    Even those with a sterile technique and totally sterile supplies get infections. Others can spit on the catheter for lube, drop on the floor and use and not wash their hands and they seldom get infections.... why? good immune system, biofilm in bladder? I don't know but we need to research those folks and get a vaccine made. So complex.
    Concentrated Cranberry extract or D- mannose helpful only for E. Coli infections.
    CWO
    CWO
    This is more or less what I used to do before insurance covered more catheters for me.

After using I would rinse it out in the sink thoroughly, then clean with soap (I just used antibacterial dish soap). After washing and shaking dry I would put it in a new envelope (envelopes are cheap) and seal this so that it had enough breathability to completely dry, but wouldn't have dust/gunk/bacteria settling on it while it was still a little damp. I'd leave the catheter in the envelope until I needed to use it the next time. I left mine in the bathroom so they were ready to use, but in retrospect that's probably a poor place to store something that you're gonna shove up your urethra (poop particles floating around in the air when you flush the toilet and humidity) so it might be a good idea to store them in your bedroom or somewhere dry and relatively clean.

It worked well for me for a couple years. I think I actually had fewer UTIs back then than I do nowadays.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Long Cliny ones

The Cliny ones have been evaluated for re-use. Providing they are not scuffed up and properly cleaned there is little evidence supporting single use. Lube may be a good idea, though. The hydrophilic ones have only been evaluated for single use.

http://www.brightsky.com.au/BrightSk...toSuitSet.aspx
    http://www.createmedic.co.jp/english...ntents_type=60
    http://www.createmedic.co.jp/files/t...3_ext_11_0.pdf

The longer male ones allow girls to direct it like a guy. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...y-awsome-pants

Silicone is compatible with hot water. Boiling water and detergent https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dodecyl_sulfate will kill everything and break it up.
    Last edited by zagam; 03-02-2017 at 04:53 AM.

IC Catheters I am using are rated for single use but my wife rinse them out,
    put them in the bowl with water still on them and put them in microwave only for 11 seconds.
    That sterilization method is enough to re-use single catheter for at least 15 - 20 times.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Hi I have this document that may help.
    Attached Images Attached Images